*A First Class to Maldives?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by gatorlionhawk, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. gatorlionhawk

gatorlionhawk Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to plan a trip to Maldives in first class from the US, but united.com searches always result in flights to IST & turkish airlines only seem to have 2-cabin flights 2 MLE.

If not, what other destinations in Central & SE Asia that do have First Class flights would you recommend?

tommy777 likes this.
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    try Emirates

3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Emirates isn't in *A

TK, OS(seasonal), and SQ are the only *A airlines to MLE and depending on miles you have F is non-existent, not available or hard to get.

May be "easiest" to do F to a nearby city than use BA avios for the short hop.

Others will know more than I do but *A F to MLE doesn't look promising, based on my research.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry missed the * :rolleyes:

5. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    TK and OS do not have F class at all, but both have pretty decent C, especially OS with new product... both have fully flat beds in C... Only *A with F class to MLE is SQ, and they do not release F class awards to partners at all... so, not possible to get with *A F class to MLE...

6. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I have experienced, SQ fly regional places with only Y or J. The J is fine for the short flight, although the red eye is a bit of a killer on an angled lie-flat.

If it must be F, I would recommend flying into DXB with Star and then onwards with EK. Central and SE Asia is a large place - you can get to lots of Thailand on a wide-body with TG, although they are notorious for equipment changes. If you have status, then you can generally sit in F with a J ticket.

Also, Kuala Lumpur or Saigon are possible as 5th freedom flights with Lufthansa.

Mirror74 and merice107 like this.
  7. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Price123. Getting to the region will be easy with lots of options for F, but most of the airlines don't fly first on the flights to Male. My wife and i just booked SQ suites to Singapore and then regional business seats from Singapore to Male. Same thing with regional business seats on our Etihad flight back from. Male-Abu Dhabi; no first class.

I guess it's the "sacrifice" one must make when going to a place like the Maldives ... ;)

Mirror74 and Counsellor like this.
  8. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah -- can't think of any way on *A to get to MLE in F, but I believe CX flies longhaul F from HKG (just started recently if I recall), and of course, EK or EY (I'm booked on a flt in May '14 that has 3 legs in F and 1 in C, I just can't remember off hand which airline didn't have an F cabin).

The other thing to consider is where you are actually staying... For us, staying at the Park Hyatt, we'll be flying in a prop jet (I think) to the island the resort is on, so even if you fly all that way F, you'll still be losing that suite for the last mile so to speak.