A few Lounge problems I've ran into during my first international Trip on AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by spkg, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm status matching to AA from UA, I've just finished a three day NRT run and I've came across a few lounge problems that I'm not really accustomed to dealing with over on UA and the *A carriers and I was just wondering if these are just one off cases due to strict agents or are things really as dAArk as my UA friends will have me believe.

1. No access to partner lounges without AA card? I was told at the CX lounge that I must have my Advantage card in order to use the lounge, Since I've just got the match to Plat, and I won't have a card until i complete the EXP challenge, that would be out of the question for me, so no access to the CX lounge. *A has the same rule, but I find agents are usually quite forgiving when it comes to that, epically at large international airports like NRT, as long as you have a BB showing your status and FF# they're usually ok with it.

2. No access to JL lounge unless you're flying JL? I decided to try my luck at the JL lounge and I was told flat out that unless I was flying JL, I wouldn't have access, seems a bit strange seeing as they would be denying themselves revenue. Over at *A I've had the same problem with LH before at DME of all places, an emails to both UA and LH got me a few thousand miles and an apology note, I don't suppose I can expect the same here.

3. No access to AC after an international flight? This one really struck me as odd, I was told at ORD that I have to be flying onwards on an international flight in order to get access, I check the website afterwards and it dose seem to say exactly that, but that seems really stingy to me. I know *A has no such rule, Skyteam dose have a similar rule, but It seems to be never enforced.

If all of the above are the norm then I have to say I'm really disappointed at the lounge access rules at OW, especially since I already won't be getting access on flights between Canada and the US that I'm accustomed to now, I guess I have to wait until I get EXP and have access to the First Class lounged to be impressed.

2. 1. sometimes but not always enforced. Best to have card, some lounges will sometimes or even often allow w/o.

2. You should have been allowed into JL lounge

3. That's the rule, must be continuing on AA or OW

3. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    really? are there any airlines in particular that are stricter then others?

maybe the fact that I didn't have a card contributed to it, but the agent's reasoning was that since there is a AA lounge in NRT, I should be going to that one.

I was continuing on AA, but domestic.

4. Then you should have been allowed in if you were arriving on an AA intl flight and departing same-day on an AA domestic flight.

BA used to be "known" for insisting on the card for entry, CX usually not-- but any lounge agent is 100% within the rules and their rights to insist you produce the physical card to make sure the status shown on your BP is accurate.

5. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    WTF, not a good start for me on AA. :(

Is there a rule for OW saying that you must use your own airline lounge in an airport with multiple lounges?

6. Definitely not, using elite status you should be able to visit any available OW lounge, with some language about "crowding" etc. excepting- and assuming it's in an accessible area. But usually NO problem at all visiting whatever OW partner lounge you like-- do have to have the card to be 100% though.

7. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your answers, I'll hope for better luck next time, and now that i know a bit about the rules, I should be able to defend myself. Maybe i should call AA and get them to send me a temporary Plat card.

8. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could try pulling up your AAdvantage account on your mobile (the lounges wifi should work from the front desk) in front of them to attempt to "prove" your current status in lieu of your card.

And yes, it's always best to know the rules so you can train people who don't know any better. Departing or arriving on aa/ow when there is a same day international leg before or after the lounge visit gets access to all Admiral's Clubs and OW Business lounges as the case may be.

Print out the rules and have 'em with you:

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/airportAmenities/AdmiralsLoungeAccess.jsp

There should also be another one around there with the oneworld lounge rules, but they are the same as what AA requires of other OW elites.

Edit: found it!
    http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/lounge-access/search

Freddie Listo likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I've never had to show my elite card with JL in NRT or CX in HKG. Just finished a trip to HEL on AA and AY and was able to access BA First, AA FL, and AY's Finnair lounges all without elite card. Lounge access is probably one of the few areas I've never had any bumps in the road with OW (cursing myself now....).

10. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this something new? I have not heard of an EXP challenge, what does it entail?

11. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Discussed here.

studio76 likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I often travel international j but with EXP get f lounge access. Never, ever had to show my AA card. On QF. BA. JL.

13. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've not once had to show a card at CX lounges, including most recently this month in Manila and a couple of lounges (The Wing and The Cabin, iirc) in Hong Kong, not have I ever been denied Flagship Lounge or Admirals Club access when arriving from an acceptable international departure point and continuing on using AA; sounds like the OP flew into a couple of anomalies. But JL is apparently denying oneworld Emeralds not flying on JL access to First lounges, and they do seem, anecdotally, to be using the old "we expect / are / will be crowded" to deny access.