A few How To BA Questions

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by splat, Jul 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to put together a tip to Europe next summer and was wondering if I understand how I should do it for the best results.

Booking will be for 2 adults 2 children using 2 241 vouchers (I know about the taxes for Business and First). We want to go to Paris first, so I beleive I need to search by legs (e.g., SFO-LHR, LHR-CDG).
    Return would be (LHR-SFO). Since availability is seems to be sketch I could go out of LAX on the A380, but would prefer SFO since we live only an hour away. Any preferences or suggestions on that option?

To do SFO-LHR-CDG what would be the suggested minimum layover time at LHR?

Regarding availability....Is it wise to book the outbound leg when I see what I want and book a return for say a day later, then when I see what I want for the return call and make the change. I don't know how easy changes are using a 241 voucher or if it matters.

I'm shooting for late June/early July deliberately trying to span the end and beginning of both months, so I'm thinking I could loose the outbound while waiting for the inbound to open.

Thoughts and suggestions are very appreciated :)

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you do the trip in the other order? Flying in to LHR and back from CDG will save you a sizable chunk of cash in taxes.

My recollection is not very. Or maybe it is just a cancellation which forfeits the cert. But there is something like that out there.

3. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, return from CDG hadn't thought of that. I'll check the differnce in taxes - thanks for the heads up.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying in First on the long-haul and you like lounging, at least three hours - to make sure you get to see the Concorde Room properly.
    Basically, it's £134 per person in Air Passenger Duty (on the basis that you're not flying economy).

If you do SFO-LHR/CDG-LHR-SFO, you don't pay UK APD (assuming a conventional connection).

If you do SFO-LHR-CDG/LHR-SFO, then it's payable for LHR-SFO (again assuming a conventional connection in the other direction).

Some of the other charges will be slightly different too, but that will be pretty small beer in comparison.

5. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only if a stopover in LHR is avoided. If you connect within 24hrs in LHR, there is no APD.

Globaliser likes this.
  6. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys.

Out of curiosity, do you think I'd find better award availability using KVS or another tool versus just the BA website?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sortof. The OP was talking about their return flight departing from LHR. That would undoubtedly incur the APD. A return from CDG almost certainly won't unless the OP purposefully books an extra stopover. At ~$200/person I know I wouldn't.
    It may make the searching a bit easier but it won't find better availability. There are also some options - both free and paid - which can email you if seats open up so you don't have to search all the time.

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that The Saint and I were talking about exactly the same dichotomy: a stopover during a journey (which is typically a break of more than 24 hours between flights), as opposed to a conventional connection where you carry straight on beyond London within a short time. I can't immediately see why any qualification is needed to his post.

If the OP flies SFO-LHR/CDG-LHR-SFO, then (as The Saint, you and I have all rightly pointed out) UK APD is not payable provided that the return journey has a conventional connection at LHR and not a stopover.

9. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the OP flies SFO-LHR/CDG-LHR-SFO, then (as The Saint, you and I have all rightly pointed out) UK APD is not payable provided that the return journey has a conventional connection at LHR and not a stopover.[/quote]

Sounds like it would be worth it to revverse the trip and follow the above. Thanks!
    My question is.... I thought I read somewhere that on a return flight on BA (can't remember if it's 241 specific or not) the return had to be from the shortest distance airport on a RT itinerary. So wouldn't CDG be further than LHR? Or maybe I'm hallucinating sometimes I read so much it crosses the wires in my brain :confused:

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't understand what part of my post you were correcting then since you say we all agree. :confused:
    I've never heard such and don't believe such a restriction exists.

11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was this word that I didn't understand:-

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That was after the initial "correction" which didn't add anything new.

Beyond that, I was replying to the statement that "Only if a stopover in LHR is avoided," and that's mostly true but not completely. If LHR is the final point from which the passenger leaves Europe having spent more than 24 hours there then APD is charged. Call it a stopover, destination or whatever other term you choose to use. In the context that the OP was describing I don't think there is any question but once the "corrections" started I really had no idea what we're talking about any more.

I thought my original message of "Flying in to LHR and back from CDG will save you..." was quite clear in this but apparently not. Such is life.

13. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that it's me that's missing something here.

But when talking about someone flying from CDG to LHR to SFO, in what circumstances would The Saint's statement not be true?

14. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Roughly all the same ones where I was "corrected" for saying the exact same thing.

And, FWIW, simply starting an itinerary in the UK will incur the APD. It doesn't have to be a stopover.

16. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    The chocolate teapot of IBBs, is this place.