A few good testers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jamesb2147, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I've been working the past few weeks on an app that takes basic input (your value of a point, monthly spend, things like that) and calculates and ranks the value of getting specific credit cards.

At the moment, I need a few people who will test alpha Android builds for me. They will be buggy, which means your point values will often disappear, the app will often crash, and sometimes things just won't work. This will be very frustrating at times. None of this will affect your other apps or phone, though, so it's totally safe to participate in.

On the other hand, you'll be the first to see and use new features on an app I'd like to release, and your feedback will be extremely valuable, as you'll be my first testers and users outside of family and friends.

If you're a patient person with the time to test an app and provide feedback, PM me (use the "start a conversation" option when you click on my username) if you're interested!

Screenshots attached. Have a great day, everyone!

EDIT: Visit http://tralue.com to download the Android app from the Google Play store. Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll test it, although I'll run it isolated until I trust you :)

I assume it doesn't really need much in the way of permissions?

3. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, right now it only needs network access permissions, and that's actually only for usage and crash statistics.

In the very near future, I think I'll be requesting some form of account access, just so that my "email to self" button works properly and easily. Lame excuse for requesting account access? Yeah. I wish Google would let you explain it in the permissions approval screen. :/

I'll PM you with more info.

4. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting name... :)

Installing it now. I'll let you know what I see.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right off the bat, a couple of things...

* It would help if you did some alignment on the entry fields to make things look a little cleaner

* It's 2013... get some tooltips or maybe question marks next to the fields so that people know what they are. Granted, chances are you can deduce what they mean, but you want to try to avoid any issues :)

* If you click on the "Credit Cards" button before setting up your preferences, you can't go back from the results screen.

* Some of the results are formatted in scientific notation, and I'm assuming it's just bad parsing of some of the entries. I see "Card total bonus less annual fee" show up as $7.5e+06, and "Value of card ter spending loss" at $7.49998e+06

* Just a cosmetic thing for now, but the icon is gonna get loss in some wallpapers with the new translucency of 4.4

Screenshot_2013-11-03-20-22-32~2.jpg

7. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that's the kind of feedback I've been looking for! :)

*You're actually fortunate that your phone is high enough resolution to display enough of the text to still fit in the editing field. I'll work on making the input more usable, but honestly, I'm not sure there's a good way to clean this up. Using a relative layout is a ton of work and I'm not familiar enough yet with its syntax. What I'm thinking is that I'll move the editing fields down below the description. I've also thought about reordering these so that they're more intuitive. Right now, it feels exhausting just going down the list.

*Communication is a big problem for me. How do you succinctly communicate that you're calculating the total value of the sign-up bonus, assuming that spend is met, and then subtracting out the cost of the annual fee, if it's not waived the first year? I know it's a problem that can be solved, I'm just not sure how to do it. I'll think about how to implement tool tips or similar functionality.

*I'm not sure what you mean with this. I'm using the back button and it seems to work fine on my Nexus 4. Are you on 4.4/KitKat?

*Scientific notation is an interesting observation... I suspect you're putting unexpectedly large numbers in the points values. They're intended to be cents per mile in value (e.g. I value Spirit points at 2.2 cents each for my travel goals). I will definitely clarify this in the next build.

*Thanks for the heads up! :) The icon and design are only intended to be temporary. I'm not an artist.

I didn't have time to work on this today, but hopefully tomorrow will be different. Thank you, viguera!

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you might be trying to do too much for too many people, and that's probably getting the interface all cluttered.

Some people might have no interest on Spirit or Jetblue points, and even if you leave it with some sort of preset default they are still not going to pay attention to it. Or worst still, as you see yourself, navigating down the list between programs you really care about means trudging through a ton of stuff that you don't.

My suggestion would be to drop the chainsaw approach and go with the scalpel. Make the home screen a grid of buttons with airline logos / names, and when people click on the one they're interested in, have a screen with very specific questions for that airline program (such as what value they put on each individual mile). Then you can display the cards for that airline program with all the other details.

Yeah for me it doesn't work. And yes I'm on 4.4[/quote]

9. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to let you know, since you'll see the update pushed out today to your phone, that there's nothing major in this one. I've played around a bit with the display, to make it easier to read on small screens (text is less likely to get bumped off screen now!). I've also updated a couple of cards. I think I've added the Southwest one and I just updated the Freedom card to reflect its new sign-up bonus of 20,000 UR points.

I am, however, in the middle of a fairly major update. Try holding your finger over the SPG text in the point values menu after the application has updated today. :) At the same time, I'm also working on a fairly major UI revision. It won't be much prettier yet, but it will be a far less button-oriented application.

10. jamesb2147

jamesb2147 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I finally got around to a pretty big revision of the app. There's a newer, cooler, simpler UI, new application icon and screenshots on the Play Store, and I've added some "hints" on the point values screen.

Anybody interested in giving it a shot? http://tralue.com to check it out.