*A Europe hub short stopover suggestion

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by BarScheeze, Aug 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. BarScheeze

BarScheeze Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a UA award booking to make for next February, ITO (Hilo, Big Island HI) to IST in economy/business. I'd like to build in a 24-48 hour stopover in Europe. What are your suggestions? Stipulations:

- *A hub for arrival airline required per UA terms (correct me if I'm wrong)
    - don't want to drive
    - I love winter, so some place frigid like Oslo would be fine
    - consider the business class product of the Trans-Atlantic airline

Cheers.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont think your stopover is required in a Hub; just has to be in reasonable location to the destination. (Aka no N. America to Australia to Europe.)

But looking at ITO - IST; I'd suggest any city you'd like in Europe. A quick search on ITA shows that most the routes you will go through is first N. America then somewhere in EU. Thus you can pick anywhere in Europe pretty much.

Something like this would work. Giving you 2 stops at cold cities on the return trip; though one would have to be a 23hr stopover.

ITO - LAX - FRA - IST
    IST - CPH - YYZ - LAX - ITO

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. BarScheeze

BarScheeze Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Any great past experiences with a particular airline in any particular EU hub city? I know February has all the Lent festivals, at least in the German-speaking regions.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I've never been to eu