A downtown Seattle restaurant guide - need your help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Lalala, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am putting together a Seattle dining guide for a meeting being held here in April. I definitely have my food crank biases, so I come to you for some advice. Those who visit Seattle or work downtown, where do you enjoy eating and drinking? Meeting is in the convention center and Sheraton, lunch time is ca. 1 hour, but some will take longer. Drinking isn't my thing, so happy hour locales are also greatly appreciated. I will be very pleased to share this guide with you all upon it's completion.

lala

2. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Pink Door, definitely an institution and they have excellent food.

3. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Serious Pie - actually any of the Tom Douglas restaurants
    Kells
    Zig Zag Cafe
    Long Provincial
    Steelhead Diner
    Maximilien in the Market
    Matts in the Market
    Marination Mobile
    Skillet
    Lunchbox Laboratory

4. MangoFlyer

MangoFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
  5. MangoFlyer

MangoFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I know the OP mentioned drinking wasn't his thing, but in case you'd like to compile a guide that includes drinks, a few suggestions for the downtown / Pike Place neighborhood:

Zig Zag Cafe (award winning bartender) - http://zigzagseattle.com/
    Vessel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikxUSR1fi4 - video of bartenders making the blue blazer
    Kel's
    The Library Bar

6. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great suggestions. I also notice today on rueseattle that Tavern Law is giving 55$ of food and drink for $30. Not a bad deal for a place within stumbling distance of the Convention Center.

7. Bobofoosh
    Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really like:

- Purple Wine Bar, but it can be hard to get into, especially if you have a large group. It's not just about wine - I personally like the food there.

- Barrio in Capitol Hill, also can be hard to get into, but interesting tex-mex food

- For a quick breakfast with good coffees and pastries, the Il Fornaio cafe is great

9. MangoFlyer

MangoFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to mention brunch options. I like to take visitors on a "Taste of Pike's Place". I should warn you - after completing this tour, you'll likely skip dinner or have a light snack. But it's well worth it.

The morning starts with a stop at The Crumpet Shoppe (~1504 1st Ave). Make sure to split one savory and one sweet crumpet. I'm partial to the raspberry preserves with cream cheese. Then head to Sweet Iron Waffles (~1200 3rd Ave) for a Basil and Brie waffle or a Bananas Foster Waffle depedning on your mood. Now it's time to hit the actual market. First up, Beecher's. Try some of their original mac-n-cheese (avoid the mariachi. It sounds good, but it's nowhere near as delicious as the original.). Then head a few stalls over to Piroshky Piroshky for a piroshky (shocking, no?). Afterwards, pass by "The Original Starbucks" (note that it's not really the first Starbucks) and realize that it's just like any other Starbucks. Finally, try a mini-cheesecake at Confectional.

After all that's done, the only thing left to do is to loosen your belt. Good luck! :)

Funtodoimpossible likes this.
  10. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second the Tom Douglas restaurants, although tight for an hour lunch. I was also just there for meetings and had a fabulous meal at The Book Bindery, which is new and not downtown, but worth the $15 cab ride.

11. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pike place tour is awesome. A lot of people stay a bit longer, so they will have time for this tour.

Re: bookbindery - on my list for next week.

Other destination restos or worth the cab ride include - walrus and carpenter, tilth (not in my opinion), canlis (not on a faculty salary), rays (great views), delancey (you follow food bloggers), herbfarm (you have a univ. presidents salary), rovers (like French food and are afraid of the bus)....can you think of others

the melrose building including Sitka and spruce are on the list

12. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are all helping me out so much! Thank you.

13. MangoFlyer

MangoFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Lalala - I went to the Book Bindery last night, and I was sorely disappointed. The service was phenomenal and everything you'd expect at a restaurant with such high ratings. However, the food was truly sub-par. My friend's hamachi crudo still had a bone in it, while my tagliatelle was extremely over-salted.

For fine dining, my favorites are Elemental (though they don't take reservations) and Spinasse.

14. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mangoflyer, we need to meet in person.

Spinasse is on my list as maybe cab to restaurants.

15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they have to be downtown? My favorite restaurants here are usually in other neighborhoods, so maybe if people are staying overnight they'll be interested.

Downtown:
    Cafe Campagne (French)
    Le Panier (not really for lunch, but my gf gets a talking to if she passes by without bringing home a chocolatine)
    Wild Ginger (Asian fusion)
    Boat Street Cafe
    Matt's in the Market
    Etta's
    Mod Pizza (fast food, but custom and fresh)

Eastlake:
    Serafina (Italian, often with live music and great food)

Ballard:
    La Carta de Oaxaca (best Mexican in Seattle)
    Bastille (French small plates)
    Matador (better for happy hour)
    D'Ambrosio (gelato)

Capitol Hill:
    Quinn's (lots of beer and creative small plates, like foie gras corn dogs)

Greenlake/U District/Wallingford:
    Eva (PNW cuisine and good wine)
    Taste of India (kitschy, but lots of fun and good food)
    Lucid (jazz bar with good, cheap-ish cocktails)
    Tutta Bella (Neapolitan pizza)

16. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a big insider on the Seattle food scene but I know that one of my favorite restaurants in the world, Din Tai Fung, just opened up a location in Seattle. If you're trying to highlight some very tasty steamed juicy dumplings, this is the place to go.

17. MangoFlyer

MangoFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    LaLaLa - absolutely. And if I may, I'd change the "maybe" cab to Spinasse to "definitely". I don't think you'll regret it at all.

18. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might recommend Sazerac (ground floor of Hotel Monaco.) The food is excellent (Cajun/PNW fusion-y) and the happy hour goes on till 8 PM.

We went to Serious Pie for the first time recently (the new one on Westlake) and we were seriously underwhelmed.

Also McMenamin's (Portland-based legend) Six Arms is walkable from the convention center - http://www.mcmenamins.com/1254-six-arms-happy-hour

19. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    In town for business in March?

http://www.dinearoundseattle.org/

I had dinner last night at Lecosho at the Harbor Steps. There you can bow down to the Pig, but I went for the vegetarian option.

I will be dining with The Missy on Sunday and having a romantic dinner with the TH at Chez Shea later in the month.

lala

20. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had you been to the other Serious Pie? I like the pies, but I hate the space. I cannot wait to try the workshop.

21. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our favorite is Palisade. You can have a truly excellent meal and not blow your calorie budget for the week. They have amazing halibut and do things with fresh vegetables that are unbelievable.

Now if you want to throw caution to the wind and indulge yourself in yummy fattening stuff, you can do so very inexpensively at Olympia Pizza at Queen Anne and Galer, or Jalisco's on first at the bottom of the hill.

22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    For weekday breakfasts, I consider Toulouse Petit and Pesos the best deals in Seattle.

http://www.pesoskitchen.com/
    http://www.toulousepetit.com/

The prices are SLIGHTLY off, though- $7 for Toulouse Petit for most items, $6.50 for Pesos. It's still a screamingly good deal. I have been eating at both regularly since 2009 with friends (during layoffs, I can afford $10 breakfasts as a treat). I have not been disappointed with a meal, not once, and I have taken a number of my friends to Toulouse Petit, including ones from Louisiana- ALL of them have raved about the food. And you can't knock Cajun meatloaf, eggs and breakfast potatoes for $10 including tax and tip.

And no cab ride involved- bus service to Lower Queen Anne is easy from downtown (bus routes 1, 2, 15, 18). Oh, and they have killer happy hours, too.

I'm also partial to and second the Brooklyn's happy hour ($1.25 oysters, $6 mussels in white wine, $3 glasses of acceptable plonk) and I will add the Metropolitan Grill's happy hour (3 very tasty roast beef au jus sandwiches, "slider" style, and 3 oyster shooters, both for $3).

http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/food.cfm