A Delta passenger's urine-soaked-baggage nightmare

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Jun 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://theweek.com/article/index/216656/a-delta-passengers-urine-soaked-baggage-nightmare

A British man's days-long quest to find his lost luggage ends with a disappointing discovery: Someone peed all over his clothes.

The airlines losing your luggage — it's every traveler's nightmare. Unfortunately for Sy Haze of Britain, a missing bag was just the beginning of his particular travel hell. While Haze settled into a Delta flight on Father's Day, his bag — packed for his week-long trip to Minneapolis — was inexplicably on its way to Boston. By the time Haze arrived in the U.S. and inquired about the missing luggage, his bag had already been head-scratchingly sent back to London. The bag then came back to America, and, after "dancing its way around the U.S." for four days, was finally delivered to his hotel room. But there was another big problem: The "overwhelming stench of urine." In a video posted on YouTube, Haze pans a camera over the contents of his suitcase, zeroing in on the more saturated items. (Watch the video below.) "It's absolutely disgusting," says an outraged Haze, who blasted Delta's complete "lack of interest." Since the video was posted, Haze says Delta has been "bending over backwards" to rectify the situation, and gave him a first-class ticket back to London. Considering his vow to "never, ever fly Delta Airlines ever again," Haze can, at least, go out in style.

savydog likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad DL doesn't offer first class service to London.

Lufthansa Flyer and Scottrick like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It didn't take something nearly that bad for my move, but it's always nice to have new members in the anti-Delta club.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they bought him a ticket on BA? Then again, maybe not ;-)

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw this report on the news. Definitely bad press for Delta. It's honestly quite funny how your average barista at Starbucks provides better customer service than the average Delta employee who is probably earning at least 50% more than they are. It's not just how much you pay your people... it's also how you treat them.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your post prodded me to think about this. Indeed, DL EEs, on average, make more than the average coffee maker. Against that, DL, I suspect, has a much lower rate of turnover.

Does money keep people around, but benefits keep them happy while they're there (but not keep them long term)?

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wrote a joke, but it was in poor taste, so I deleted it and will post this message instead.

mtkeller, USAF_Pride and savydog like this.
  8. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect he may have made one too many complaints about the baggage handlers for his own good :)

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my impression, although without the toiletry mess and theft, I might have bet on the deed having been done by a dog in the plane's hold. (Sorry savy, I know you wouldn't....but some pets must get upset down there and they can be left in crates for a long time during transit.)

USAF_Pride and savydog like this.