A Contest Where If You Lose, You Win - Most Restrictive Company Travel Policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by diver90, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got an update on belt tightening related to Company Travel. It's gotten very restrictive. In essence, the high (i.e. low) points are:

Must use corporate card - Bye Bye points
    Everything must be lowest available via the company travel site - (Even if it's not the cheapest available via other means)
    All travel is suspended unless it is to a customer site.

How's it going for you?

2. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could be worse, unemployment's travel policy is really strict.

In all seriousness, sorry about the cutbacks!

3. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    No real tightening here - but our Admin always books the flights (registered travel agent I believe) so we were never allowed to use our cards.

I can select any flight I want within reason, and I'm never forced to take a connection.

All Y though...

4. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true! Though in my short tenure as an independent consultant I only had to negotiate with myself. [​IMG]

5. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have to book flights through a corporate web app, with the corporate card, and it has to be the cheapest one, which almost always ends up being Delta. Hotel/rental also have to be booked w/corporate card for rates/insurance purposes.

However, we can still collect miles/points on airlines/rentals/hotels, minus all the card point bonus goodies.

osiriuso and diver90 like this.
  6. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, sounds very familiar.

BTW are you related to this guy? (Michael Symon - Excellent Chef)

[​IMG]

7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Haha! No, we baldies just all look alike. When I initially took the plunge into baldness, I was going for a Michael Rosenbaum look.

[​IMG]

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have you eaten at Michael Symon's restaurant? (sorry for being off-topic)

diver90 likes this.
  9. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. It's on my list but I don't get to his neck of the woods (Cleveland, right?) all that often.

10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not my current travel policy but

- must be booked through corporate TA on account
    - must be lowest fare (even if sensible to take higher fare to save hours of time)
    - travel to other cities/countries is on own time
    - all economy, even longhaul, unless signed off by ceo
    - no international unless signed off by ceo
    - all incidentals must be receipted (difficult to get a receipt with some forms of public transport, eg train from airport)

11. UNHBuzzard
    Original Member

UNHBuzzard Silver Member

Status Points:
    At my former company (there were about 5-6 of us) there was a stockpile of cc points, probably around 750k. The point program was terminating, so rather than be allowed to use them, the parent company requested that they expire.

12. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's sad.

I work for a non-profit, I get $750.00 a year for workshops and conferences. This includes any transportation costs as well.

13. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! Was there any kind of reason given?

14. UNHBuzzard
    Original Member

UNHBuzzard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Negative. When I did ask if I could use/have them (even in exchange for services like website updating), they said they would come up with a valuation so they could include it as part of my income for the year for tax purposes. I politely bowed out.

15. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's ludicrous...sometimes I just don't understand this antiquated bureaucracy BS that stands in the way of doing what's right.

16. Buster

Buster Active Member

Status Points:
    The thing that chaps me about our travel policy is the requirement to take the absolute cheapest fare, no matter how many connections. It makes no sense to have me out of the office all day so that I can get somewhere in 10 hours that I could have gotten to in 4.

kiwi likes this.
  17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what changed our company policy on travel: :(
    [​IMG]

18. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously?

19. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    - Must use company travel agent. Booking around agency will be reported to CFO.
    - Must fly company designated carriers. Booking non-designated carriers must be justified on cost (with limited 'convenience' exception if designated carrier doesn't serve market) because it will be reported to company CFO.
    - Cheapest fare available at time of booking. Exceptions must be pre-approved by top-level management & will be reported to CFO.
    - Biz/F class will be considered only if travel time >12 hours and traveler must work day-of-arrival. Travel agency will attempt to book prior-day travel if feasible to force coach seating/lower fares.
    - Must use company credit card unless it's not accepted.
    - No alcohol will be reimbursed.
    - Any flight changes must be done through travel agent, not directly with airline (which caused me no end of grief on a flight change that involved a $3.25 fare difference, long story).
    - Must choose negotiated-rate hotels where available, otherwise must stay within specified per-deim limits

20. osiriuso

osiriuso Active Member

Status Points:
    We've always had to use the corporate web application to book our business travel, and like many others here, we are mandated to choose the most cost-effective (i.e. cheapest) flight.

Lucky for me, my manager is pretty level-headed and allows some flexibility in choosing a particular airline over another... as long as the price difference is nominal.

And... ditto on the use of the corporate credit card for EVERYTHING. It takes a whole lot of effort to justify reimbursements for using cash spent these days. :(

21. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ugly
    -Must use company card for all expenses (this one is a couple years old...SUCKED. I've pushed the envelope on this one a few too many times for Marriott visa only promos.)
    -Must book flights via company travel (phone or web)
    -Mgr notified if not cheapest fair
    -Mgr notified if not preferred rental agency
    -ALWAYS coach

-$45 day limit on meals (not per-diem)
    -$125 day limit on hotel (soft limit....mgr notified if over)
    -$55 day limit on rental (soft limit)

The good
    -No receipts under $25

22. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are pretty standard compared to many others listed above, maybe a few additional advantages -
    • Corporate travel site to use, preferred airlines and rates are highlighted
    • Intent to use our corporate cards, but it's more about the extended grace period for expense reimbursement... We seem to be able to use other cards instead (I need to sign up for Delta and Marriott cards, still!!)
    • Corporate guidelines allow up to 800 for domestic flights, 1500 for international (and approvals required if running higher)... but some clients we work with have much lower guidelines AND we are all trying to watch expenses
    • We are supposed to take the cheapest fair that is reasonable. One layover with minimal delay is not un-reasonable, but 3 layovers and mult extra hours is not reasonable. I will actually take a layover sometimes, if cheaper and benefits me as a mileage run [​IMG]
    • Always coach unless it's last minute and critical you be somewhere - then it's likely running over the limit and requires approval anyway.
    • I can use the corporate site for personal use, too, which is a great benefit given the rates I see elsewhere!
    • Corporate policy specifically says we can earn points, etc with various providers (airline, hotel, car rental); that it's perfectly acceptable for them to try and earn our business loyalty, etc, and consider points a reward to our personal loyalty vs. something to roll back to the company. We aren't supposed to base our travel booking based on rewards, of course... but that's been a non-issue for me so far.
    The only thing I don't like is that we have to receipt for everything (used to not need them for <$10...), so that's pretty strict and inconvenient.

23. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    wow. My employers travel policy looks pretty good compared to what I've read here. Flights over 9 hours = business class (at my level), no set hotel, flight or rental car limits. Per diem is 72 bucks in the US

24. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our company policy was always to use the corporate card. Most employees were gone a week or two every two months. Several employees would "forget" their company card on the most expensive trip of the year, and use it on the others.

I've never seen significant fallout from using the wrong card, especially if you are doing your job.

25. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    At my last job as a contractor, I was able to buy my business plane tickets with e-certs I had acquired in the Thank You point days. The total amount of fare and tax was still listed properly, just where there was normally a credit card listed, there was instead a debited e-cert.

I started a new job yesterday and one of the first things they said was I needed to get a corporate card. Boo hoo.