A College Dropout Spends 5 Years Creating a Perfect Model Airplane from scratch

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Max M, Jan 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    This gives paper airplanes a whole new meaning!

uggboy and Max M like this.
  3. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely! Thanks for posting.

Hunt

uggboy and Max M like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely amazing stuff. WOW! Thanks for posting.

Max M likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is amazing, and yet we get paid to give others what they want, so we can get what we want.

How long would it take a 3D printer to duplicate it, and yet it was fun to build, and cheaper than college.,.

I will bet in later life he will wish he spent the same energy to finish college, he is talented,

boondr, Gargoyle and Max M like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt he has the energy, and will be successful if he applies himself to other facets of life.

Perhaps he could propel the energy into creating a new product?

Bill Gates was a pretty successful college dropout. ;)

satman40 likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seen Bill Gates over the years, at CES, and Comdex he has done well, along with many others.

I remember many of these guys when they stayed in the cheap seats, and shared rooms, it has been an unbelievable ride.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many college dropouts didn't turn into a Bill Gates?

Did Bill Gates spend five years of his life building a model airplane (or the equivalent of it in his field of expertise)?

satman40 likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    College is just a tool, and no guarantee of success,

But you do meet many good friends as you share life's journeys,

boondr likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't disagree with that. But tools are useful to have if you want to build something, like a career.

I personally know multiple college dropouts who did not end up with a successful career (it's obviously not known if they would have if they had stuck with it, but all the college graduates I know have been successful, even the English major). I don't personally know any college dropout who was particularly successful. Obviously my sample is small and not a scientific study, and I don't know any billionaires personally.

satman40 likes this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Here's one, a P-38 lightening. 500 hours of CAD work, the initial one they did was a 30" wingspan, then they redid it with a 5' wingspan. I've seen it in person, very fine detailing.

http://buildparts.com/main.taf?p=4,4#/?section=3

satman40 likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in the electronic business, and know many if the guys from the early days,

To be honest there was never any talk of school, just the inspiration and hopes

Most if them had no idea of how things would turn out, it was just fun, even today no one talks about the money.

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazing, but the title of this post is a bit misleading because it was written in the article, "Luca became so obsessed with this time-consuming project, he dropped out of his college classes to complete it."

To me (correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like he began doing this and spent so much time doing it that he eventually dropped out in order to pursue his "hobby". So... it's not a college drop-out who spent 5 years building a model. It's more like a young man spent 5 years building that model aiplane, and he went as far as dropping out of college to complete it. A bit different. Don't you think so?

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Misleading?
    Certainly not my intent. If one intends on purposely misleading someone, they would falsify the facts: I'm merely the messenger whom came up with their own headline.

Many news headlines are up for interpretation.

Journalism 101: The purpose of a headline is to entice readers to read the article, and draw their own conclusions.

cc1972: Since you failed to mention it in your complaint of me, how would your AP Style headline have read for the article? :rolleyes:

15. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry that you took it personal, but if you read carefully what I wrote, then you'll notice that I never mentioned you, said that you were misleading anyone or intending to; I merely said the title was... and it was. Granted, you just copied the title of the article, but it doesn't make it less misleading. When you talk about my complain of you... where do you see me complaining about you? I don't know why you think I was pointing at you when I never even mentioned you, or why you took it personal since it wasn't your own article anyway.