A charge to change seats? Wow!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Punki, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually only fly UA or AS but we will flying to Puerto Rico on first class award tickets which we acquired using AS miles. When we made the reservations, the AS agent said we would randomly be assigned seats and would need to contact AA to pick the seats we really wanted.

When I called AA they said there would be $15.00 charge to change the seats. [​IMG] I can't believe this Mickey Mouse nickle and diming. :(

I eventually asked to speak with a supervisor who eventually changed the seats without charge, but WOW is this normal for AA?

hawk608 likes this.
  2. For F/J class? I think the agent was wrong!

Punki likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is really crappy!

4. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought AA charged if it was not booked on AA.com but then again, a lot of mine is booked through a travel website my company uses. Maybe its if you can't access your res on AA.com. I don't know but I do recall where they were charging to change seats for certain pax. What surprises me is that a partner booking incurred this fee. Interesting to say the least

Ok here it is

American to charge some $15 to change seat

01:45 PM CDT on Friday, April 13, 2007

Changing your seat on an American Airlines Inc. flight may cost an extra $15 for customers who didn't buy their tickets directly from the airline.

The Fort Worth-based carrier, which has trying to push more transactions online as a cost-saving measure, began charging the fee to customers who call the airline for a seat assignment or to change seats rather than making the request through their original booking agency.

There is no charge for customers who booked their tickets directly through the airline, or who request the changes online or on American's voice-activated phone system.

5. For J/F pax, that's retarded.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  6. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's terrible! $15 is such a small fee too. In fact, it's so small that it's a "why bother?" fee, especially for F pax. How insulting...

jetsetter likes this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the most surprising part. Its far from new.

8. I think it's not ofter we see a non-elite in F around here, so it probably doesn't come up much.

9. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sure gave me a negative first impression of AA.

I have flown in first on many airlines where I have no status and have never encountered such silliness from any other airline. IMHO, it just reflects very poorly on AA.

10. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is the trend, folks....they can't raise fares so they will find ANY possible way to nickel and dime us....the question is when do we say enough is enough?

11. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you try getting the AA confirmation number from AS (their website will tell it to you if you made the partner reservation on alaskaair.com) and taking it to aa.com to look up the reservation there? Mrs. Microwave redeemed some AS miles for an AA J award to Central America via alaskair.com, and when it was complete we were given the AA confirmation number on the website, took that over to aa.com, looked up the confirmation number there and were able to pick seats on aa.com with that; no $15 fee, no haggling with phone agents.

FlyingPanda and magic111 like this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me you should be mad at AS. Why should they assign seats at random and tell you to go to AA to pick the seats you really want? Is that world-class customer service? You booked this flight with AS, with AS miles. You are their customer. They should handle seating, IMO. If their computer system won't handle it, they should call AA and secure your seats for you instead of assigning chores to you.

magic111 likes this.
  13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has usually been my experience that talking with airline phone agents is very pleasant, and often very enlightening. It just seemed very tacky that anyone would try to nickle and dime like that, especially on a first-class ticket.

14. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh dear, gemac, I don't get "mad" at people over silly things like that. It is silly and petty and reflects poorly, IMHO on AA, but I most certainly wouln't get mad over something like this.

I accepted the fact that AS didn't have access to AA seating, just as UA often does not have access to LH seating, and called AA, just as I call LH. When I call LH, they are alway pleasant, helpful and courteous and I am favorably impressed.

AA ended up changing the seats for free anyway and in the end just wasted their own time and money, as well as annoying me. They would have been far better off had they just been pleasant and cooperative and changed the seats in the first place.

15. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines generally can't assign seats on other airlines (exception I've seen LH family of airlines .. Ie LH and BD for example)

AA should have seen it's a first class award ticket and there would have been no way of you booking a AS award ticket on AAs site.

Very silly rule, and it's not one that other carriers have picked up.

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your emoticons. I still think it is up to AS to provide appropriate service to their customers. When you book tickets with them, using their miles, they should secure the seats for you, instead of assigning you chores. Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

The AA fee for assigning seats that are booked with someone else is because AA personnel are having to use their time to do things that the "someone else" is being paid to do, but refuses to do despite being paid to do it.

magic111 likes this.
  17. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what it means to "boom" an AS award ticket on AA's site, but if you book an award on AA metal from the alaskaair.com site using AS miles, AS will give you the AA PNR (a.k.a. confirmation code). You can take that AA code you got from AS over to aa.com, look up the AA reservation there, and get your seats assigned at aa.com for free.

18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) meant "booking"
    IPad made that decision for me..

19. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh. [​IMG] While there may be no way to book an AA award on aa.com using AS miles, it's actually quite easy to book an AA award on alaskaair.com using AS miles. So in that case, you can make the booking on alaskaair.com and fix seats on aa.com after the award is ticketed.

20. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I book awards on QF, BA and AS using AA miles and AA always give me a seat assignment. I always ask for the carrier PNR as well so I can go on their site and check for better seating arrangements

Microwave likes this.
  21. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never encountered such a fee even in Y. Is this a new charge?

22. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    turns me off just reading this....

23. todd-r
    Original Member

todd-r Active Member

Status Points:
    The other thing to keep in mind is that AS charges $25 per person to book the ticket on AA, in additiona to required FF miles, taxes, etc. If paying AS for the service, they should be making the call to AA to get you the seats you want, IMO.

24. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is just one charge after another nowadays [​IMG]

25. At least you can still change them online without a charge. The bean counters in the Sales Prevention Team are continually finding new ways to piss off customers and attempt to capture more revenue.