A Change Coming to Copa?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Jun 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have searched and searched online, but I can't find the details of Copa's coming independence that an agent told me about on Wednesday. She said that they will be a totally independent airline in 2014, but everything I find indicates that they are already totally independent.

Their livery is almost identical to United's. This dates back to their original affiliation with Continental.

According to this agent, they will still be MileagePlus participants, with their flights still counting as UA metal. They are simply going to be 100% owned and managed as a separate company. I don't see what the difference is from today.

Living in Latin America, I fly them frequently. They are a great airline, and upgrades are so easy that I consider any fare to be an instant-upgrade fare. On my flight Wednesday from MCO-PTY-SJO, the Clase Ejecutiva cabin had only 5 passengers in a 16 seat cabin from MCO-PTY. There were also a couple of open seats up front from PTY-SJO.

Add in the 25% PQM bonus when elite and booking on copa.com, and they are my favorite mode of transportation between here and the USA. The mention that something might change kind of concerns me. I like them just the way they are.

If anyone here knows the details, I would sure appreciate it if you would share them.

P.S. - Shouldn't this thread be renamed "United | MileagePlus (Including Copa)"?

druiddation, HiIslands and mht_flyer like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never flown Copa, but I see on their website they are starting to fly out of BOS in July direct to PTY. Another place on my list of places to go.

Sean Colahan and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be flying Copa LIM-PTY-BOS a week after they start service. Can't wait to give them a try:)

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agent fed you garbage -- Copa has been a fully independent company for years, and the carriers will continue the cooperation they've long enjoyed to mutual benefit until we're publicly told otherwise.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's certainly the impression I got from trying to research any news of a change. I think that perhaps something else is changing, and she was confused about the terminology.

Although Copa is behind in technology (almost no real IFE or in seat power), the service onboard is typically stellar. They serve free meals on every flight, even the short ones. The food in Clase Negocios is very, very good, and I've never been told that they were out of my selection. I can't comment on the booze, as I don't drink.

They aren't perfect, however. Their baggage handlers at SJO have no idea what the Priority tags mean. Either that or they don't care. I once was denied my CPU until I insisted that they move me. It was an hour into the flight PTY-JFK before they realized that operations in Panama had failed to clear the CPUs. My complaints to their "customer service" department fell on deaf ears, and I didn't get a response until I wrote directly to Pedro Heilbron. He answered me personally within about 30 minutes, and it finally resulted in a 5,000 mile credit for the inconvenience.

Overall they are great. There are very few times that I feel the need to complain or draw their attention to a shortcoming, so their unresponsive CS team is rarely an issue. On the scales, their benefits clearly outweigh their shortfalls. There is no perfect airline.