A bit of trickery

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by michael21, Oct 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that If I reserve nights with cash, I can upgrade with like 6,000 points to a suits right? Can I do the following-Pay for the first night-upgrade with points and then book two nights with my hyatt free nights (credit card) and then combine the reservation hoping they'd keep me in the suite for all 3 nights??

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can hope. Doesn't always work.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you're saying there's a chance? :)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's always a chance, unless you don't try. Personally, I would not bother as the chance of facing the hassle of moving rooms would be a sufficient deterrent for me.

servo46250 likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    why not do the 2 free nights first; then upgrade the 3rd (final) night. Ask the hotel when you check in if the upgrade can be spread to all 3 nights... if not don't upgrade?

servo46250 likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That works from a convenience perspective. However, your chances of getting the upgrade extended will be better if you put that night first.

7. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But wanting to stay at a nice NY or Chicago Hyatt would require $500 a night sometimes so while 3 nights in a suite potentially is nice for $500, it's still a sizable out of pocket expense.

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes, but not always.

9. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please recall that you must reserve at a rack rate for the points upgrade - this might pose a real disincentive!

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you? I thought it was any eligible rate published on Hyatt.com. And if it's a resort property (which this isn't) you need to pay a little more for a room that already has at least a partial view.

So a $250 AAA off-season rate with partial ocean view at the HR Maui is fine. But not the $220 AAA off-season garden view. I certainly don't need to pay $500+ or whatever the rack rate is.

11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, gold passport is down just now, but IIRC, points upgrades must be rack rates, diamond upgrades are for any published rate.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. There might be some discretion on the part of the hotel. I was once offered a chance to upgrade with points on a rate that was definitely not rack.

13. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gold Passport is back up and I am incorrect. Applicable language follows:

When redeeming Regency Club® or Grand Club® upgrades or suite upgrades at a resort property, you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc). At non-resort properties you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate.

So rack rate is not required.

14. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will add that this makes points for upgrades significantly more valuable than I realized. The additional cost for a suite becomes only the points spent plus what I might forego by not using a AAA rate (typically a 10% discount from the daily rate).

15. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You're not incorrect - we often use the terms of Hyatt Daily Rate and Rack Rate interchangeably. Note that this is not the maximum rate that may be charged for the room but the "regular" non-discounted rate (no AAA, Senior, Corporate, Government discounts etc).

16. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You cannot use points to upgrade a BRG rate though, as I found out.

Also, in SIN, I booked 2 rooms for 6 nights each...one was 4 nights $$$ plus 2 nights on Hyatt card, and the other was 6 nights on $$$. I used points to upgrade the 4 night to a suite and a DSU for the other room, and was made to change rooms on the 4 night room on the last night to a non suite. That, however, is the ONLY time I have ever been made to change rooms in that type of situation.