A bit of advice when renting from Enterprise

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by rphilpotjr, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. rphilpotjr

rphilpotjr Member

Status Points:
    I've used Enterprise for years and don't like anyone else. That said, I found one of their policies to be a disadvantage (or an advantage if you're lucky and persistent). If you have a reservation and try to change any part of it (for instance you want to pick the car up an hour later or earlier) they rebook it at the rate in effect at the time of the change. For me that costed about $70 on a weekly rental. But I've also used it to my advantage. Now when I book a car I check the rates daily until the pick-up date. If the rates drop (as they often do) I modify my booking to lock in the new rate. This has saved me a good bit of money.

WilliamQ and bigx0 like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is particular to Enterprise. While there may be some differences in grace periods, don't most car rental companies operate exactly this same way?

3. rphilpotjr

rphilpotjr Member

Status Points:
    You may be right. I stopped dealing with the other companies.

4. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this with National.

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm an Enterprise Plus member and they always honor the rate that was originally quoted. Also have picked up cars late and there was no problem. I called in to the PICKUP LOCATION and not the reservation number to inform them that I was running late.

6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I rent from Enterprise can I earn miles on a frequent flier program?

Newscience likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been able to do this, but have been able to get FF credit with Avis, Hertz and National car rentals. That aside, when Enterprise offers a "weekend special" rate. it's usually such a good offer that I'll settle for only getting FF miles by using my credit card.

8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that Enterprise rates for a week are often 50% lower then what Sixt, Avis, Europcar offers. That is probably why they do not give FF points. Anyway I always make sure I use the right CC's so at least I get 2x-5x the points for the $ spent.

Mrlasssen, B1BomberVB and Newscience like this.
  9. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which CC gives 5X on car rentals?

10. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Reserve Citi, you might have to hunt your points as Citi sometimes gives less.
    KLM Flying Dutchman might give points. I have to send some info to them first and then see if it works.

11. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup. I have done this with National and Avis. (I also do it with hotel bookings : I have been successful wth Am Ex FHR, SPG, HGP...)

12. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    I had a pre-paid rate that was booked for dates in 2015 and I wanted to pick up the car on those dates in 2014. Hertz honoured the original rate without any discussion.