A better Chase UR domestic redemption option?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by harvson3, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Transfers from UR to Korean Skypass for Alaska and Hawaii flights

If you're looking to go to Alaska, it will normally cost you at least (coach/first)
    25K/65K on AA
    25K/50K on AS, US or UA
    25K/45K on DL (snort)
    and so on

However, if you have only 20K or 40K in your UR account, you can transfer to Korean Air's Skypass program and fly their partner Alaska Airlines. This is the redemption chart:
    korean1.jpg

For everyone except those in Seattle, this seems to be a better use of UR points than a transfer to United or British Airways Avios. Point-per-point, it's cheaper than Alaska's own redemption rates.

Gary explains how to find Alaska Airlines award space here.
    ---

If you're looking to go to Hawaii, it will normally cost for coach/business:
    40K/80K on UA or Hawaiian
    35K/75K on AA
    40K/70K on US
    40K/75K on DL (snort again)

But using Korean Skypass miles on their partner Hawaiian only costs 30K/60K.
    korean3.jpg

Note that Hawaiian Airlines doesn't fly to many cities beyond the West Coast.

Points, Miles, and Martinis and TravelSort have had posts explaining how to use Korean Skypass miles for high-end redemptions. Their post and Lucky's post on flying Korean itself led me to this.

---
    One, of course, has to create a Skypass account and it's wise to call ahead of time to find if seats are available.

What does availability look like? I don't know. I called yesterday and got a dummy booking for two seats to Alaska in March, but on the other hand who wants to go to Alaska in March?

There have been reports of success here. And a shout-out to Duc.

So my main question is.... has anyone successfully made a redemption using UR points and Skypass? Does this work? Why aren't more bloggers touting this as a reason to accumulate UR points?

---
    Postscript: And if this is some sort of "secret" that "bloggers ruin," oh well.

Post-postscript for those who are scuba divers:

If you manage to book a trip from CGK or DPS to Papua or the airports near Raja Ampat for 20K or 30K round-trip, please drop me a line.

korean2.jpg

2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think many blogs have mentioned it - the best post I remember reading was on Dan's Deals. http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/21319 I haven't used it yet myself, but I absolutely plan on doing it.

harvson3 likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just tried to create Skypass account to check out Korean Air award booking. I'm totally disgusted with their website and online tools. There are very few gateways available on the menu, and one has to check each date individually. I found zero availability, and it took forever to do so. The "secret" part of this method is that it sucks! :mad:

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a Skypass account and their java applet is slow and GUI very unuserfriendly.

MX likes this.
  5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll have to call in to get non-Skyteam partner awards. That's true for many airlines and non-alliance award partners, e.g., Etihad with AA and Jet Airways with UA.

6. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! Been trying to plan a trip to Hawaii for next year sometime