A benefit to FF tickets I just learned to appreciate...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by moongoddess, Dec 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    It costs money, but they are easy to cancel.

My elderly parents were planning to fly to Phoenix to visit my brother this January. As an act of kindness, I booked them two nonstop First Class frequent flyer tickets using my AAdvantage miles. Well, as (bad) luck would have it, my mother has come down with a bad case of bronchitis and they can't make the trip. If those had been paid tickets, I'd either have been screwed, or I'd be filing a claim with a travel insurance company (which would no doubt demand all sorts of medical records). Instead, a 30-second phone call to American Airlines got the reservations canceled, and the miles were back in my account within 24 hours.

Granted, it cost me a $175 change fee - but right now, as busy as I am at work, I'd rather pay that than have to hassle with trip insurance claims. Thanks American! (Now if you could just lower the change fee to something a bit more reasonable...)

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestic change fees for paid tickets are similar ($200 now). You'd end up with a 1-year credit in their name, but you wouldn't lose the value of the ticket.

iolaire likes this.
  3. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I WOULD lose the value of the tickets, because it's extremely unlikely they'll ever agree to try to make the trip again. They've reached that point in life where they don't like to be too far away from their familiar doctors and hospital. It's sad, but what can you do about it?

So in this case, being able to easily get the miles back was wonderful. (Especially since I'm planning a trip to Singapore next spring.)

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could keep pushing the date back and book tight connections. Hope for a schedule change and redeposit for free. Or become elite enough.

MX likes this.
  5. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I've no chance of ever earning elite status. And it would have been tough to have booked tight connections on the route my parents would have been flying. Nope, in this case just paying the fee to get the miles back worked out best - and far, FAR better than dealing with the same issue with a paid-in-cash ticket would have been.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH DL award tickets beccome unchangeable at T-72, although DL claims that they will make exceptions in cases of hardship, perhaps on a once in a llifetime basis.