A BA Conundrum

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by wolfsatz, Sep 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have roughly 120,000 miles from the Chase mega-sign-up bonus and an additional $20,000 in spend over the last few months. With a wedding on the horizon, it's likely that I will meet the $30,000 spend for the BA companion pass. My fiance (wife) and I would like to go to Europe sometime this coming Spring or early Summer. My father also has about 105,000 BA miles from the Chase bonus that he pledged to me as a wedding gift.

Problem: We, currently, need 150,000 miles to get a F Class award ticket from NA to Zone 1 Europe. However, I'm leery of their impending changes come November. I'm pretty sure I could meet the companion pass spend by then but there's really no way I'll get to 150,000 in my own account by then.

My original plan was to book our tickets separately in Business class using the miles from my account and my dad's account, however, getting close to the companion pass makes me really covet that BA first class award.

Any suggestions out there?

NYBanker likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you and your father share an address, you can create a family account and the miles between them are pooled.

NYBanker likes this.
  3. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately we don't. :(

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few thoughts:

1) You could change addresses for a while.
    2) You could transfer some Amex points to BA.
    3) You (and your bride-to-be) could sign up for some new Amex cards to get a couple of small bonuses.
    4) Do all of your holiday shopping.
    5) Buy some gift cards.
    6) Make an Amazon payment or two.
    7) Send me some money via Venmo.
    8) Transfer SPG points to BA.
    9) Sign up for the Chase 50k bonus and transfer those points to BA.

Finally, BA has said that the miles required from the east coast to Europe will go DOWN effective with the new changes (this gets lost in the cries about devaluation - this is what I'll use BA for, and my miles valuation went UP!). Your profile says you are LAS based, perhaps you have to do a paid leg to JFK (cheap from LAS), then F onward from JFK (which you should wait till the revised table becomes effective to book to capture the step-down in mileage requirement).
    If you can't do any item from the menu, the paid leg isn't a bad option. All else fails, there is, gasp, Business Class! (Though you should try to do F for a honeymoon!)

5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should look at the. Miles and Cash option. You can purchase up to 24,000 miles a year. I did a dummy booking and it looked like you would be able to purchase for around 1.7 cpm., which you should be able to do with the additional 10,000 points.

Also, remember that the travel together ticket must be on BA metal, and LAS to LHR has already been announced at the same 150,000 miles (points). The question would be if the additional leg to Europe would add any miles to the award ticket.

Where are you thinking of going?

6. gster78

gster78 Active Member

Status Points:
    I thought the rumor is that North America to London will go down in miles needed.

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    not for those who lives in the west coast. BA has published the miles needed for US-LHR already

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    NY-LHR it will, not west coast-LHR though.

EDIT: OP is from Las Vegas, NV.

9. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just be aware that the Olympics will be held in London during July/August.

This will mean an increase in the cost of accommodation even in the run to up the Games, and a decrease in award availability, which could affect your plans; ensure you have priced up and reserved your hotels prior to booking the flights and if you see award availability, snap it up.

You can book LAS-LHR direct aboard BA - there's a First cabin so you could outbound in J (you'll be sleeping so no need for F) and inbound in First, allowing you to sample the Concorde Room. And of course you can inbound to a different airport if you fancy a weekend in another US city as part of your trip.

If you really want to maximise value, you can use the same amount of miles for an extra flight to BA destinations in zone 1 of mainland Europe.

New First should be installed on most routes by early 2012:

www.ba.com/first

10. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure about that? ;) Unless there's a very good reason not to do so then having a HHA, even if only for a few months, would make what you're trying to do easier.

Yes, although if OP is using a 2-for-1 then I'd choose F every time -- 'downgrading' two passengers from F to J to save 25,000 miles only really appeals if saving miles is a priority.

A mixed cabin redemption will require a phone call (that said, my most recent non-mixed redemptions also required phone calls).