*A Awards on United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Efilon87, Jan 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for *A award space for busines/first through United. Just wondering, when will the *A airlines start opening their award space? Putting my parents SFO-ATH; FCO-SFO in September with a return in October. Would like to avoid United and US Airways if possible. Thanks!!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whenever they want. There is no rule about seats always opening NN days/month in advance of travel.

Depending on your elite status the best bet is to lock in something - anything - and then tweak it by taking advantage of the relatively generous change policies UA has. Also, depending on the desired cabin of travel, don't sneer at US so much. Their A330s in Envoy are a better hard product than UA, AC, OS, LO or LH by most accounts.

skyvan and Efilon87 like this.
  3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only award space for US is on their 767. Now I know its early in the game, but would you fly US 767 Envoy over LO/LH? And sadly, I have no elite status...But how generous is the generous change policy with UA? Thanks!!

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Changing the dates/times is free so long as the start and end points stay the same and you make the change 21+ days from the new travel date. Changing carriers will incur a fee as a non-elite so that might work against you.

The only *A service from North America to ATH is going to be on AC. Normally that's a good thing but starting this summer they are committed to running that route with planes from their new LCC-within-an-airline, rouge. They aren't even selling the big seats as business class anymore because they know they don't compete. That means stopping in Europe on the way over. Coming back you have a few options but I'd fly LH over the US 767. And if you can get the LH 748i (currently IAD and LAX but subject to change) that's actually a pretty nice biz product.

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't discount the new LO 787 business class. I'm looking forward to flying it in April.

6. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    To the OP, I would strongly consider using one of the agencies that specialize in frequent flier award reservations. Getting good TATL seats on *A carriers using MP miles is absolutely possible but has grown more challenging. Getting expert help is well worth it. Gary Leff (Book Your Award) and Brett Snyder (Cranky Concierge) both have such agencies and I've used and can recommend both.

guberif likes this.
  7. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to hijack the thread, but what exactly qualifies as "changing carriers"? I have a reservation on hold that's OS-OS-AC-UA. Hoping that UA will release seats on another route that'll eliminate the need for the AC segment. If I go ahead and book the OS-OS-AC-UA route, and then try to change to OS-OS-UA, will that count as changing airlines and therefore incur a fee for a non-Premier?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea, unfortunately. That part of the rule is pretty vague and there isn't a lot of empirical data to go on yet.

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA-TK to UA-only required a carrier change fee, but perhaps that's because I changed SFO-IST to SFO-NRT as well. :)

10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I changed an NH-NH-SQ booking to a SQ nonstop and didn't encounter any change fees at all. My original booking was in F and my new booking was in J, which may have tricked the system in to not charging me the carrier change fee though.

11. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the cost of using the award booking agencies/services pretty much the same across the board?

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No; they vary quite a bit.

13. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't have a subscription for ExpertFlyer, so I have been using the *A Search on ANA. If the ANA search comes back as a class being X-Full, does that mean that category is fully booked even if the flight is in 9 months?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That simply means there are no seats available at that time. Maybe more will open and maybe not. EF is just searching the UA site so it isn't like there is some special, secret source they have access to.