*A award availability

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by deant, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Has anyone else noticed the extreme lack of F and C award availability lately? I suspect that it is due, in part, to LH not allowing *A F & C award tickets on their A380s. It's not just that UA doesn't show availability but nothing shows up on ANA either.

Right now I have award tickets for this summer for LAX - SEA - FRA -IST. UA moved the LAX - SEA leg up about an hour and a half (layover had already been long) so I am thinking about changing the flights. However, I would prefer to stay with LH because of access to the LH F lounge and terminal in FRA. There is nothing available on LH for the day I am looking for. Have checked just about every routing possible.

May wind up changing to UA flights so I don't have the long SEA layover.

Tim O'Brien and kwai like this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you mention this travel is summer it doesn't surprise me that you're finding limited (no) availability. I'm seeing things wide open for the fall and winter for dates on or around the centerpoint of my search.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm noticing the extreme lack of 3 Y class award seats for 1Ks on UA midcons and transcons in North America. Nada on Friday, May 20 for a couple of months now. Why not release more 1K-only inventory?

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    As noted, you're talking the summer travel season and pretty much all initial award seats have been taken in premium and coach cabins. However, closer to flight time, I bet LH will release lots more award seats since the inventory will not have been sold. I was looking for F award seats to IST from the east coast in June and came up with some returns via FRA and MUC on LH, but nothing on the outbound -- other than business -- so while the trip isn't essential (just want to use my visa that I got when visiting IST last weekend while it's still unexpired) I will check back in late May. Lots of [non-UA] business award seats still available across the Atlantic over the summer months.

5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The problem is that I am stuck with flying on a certain date because of cruise reservations. May be able to move it up 1 day or so but not easy. Since there has been a significant schedule change with UA, I plan on waiting as long as possible to call them and talk about the change. Because of the schedule change I should be OK to book any UA flights to FRA (that have F seats) and still connect with the existing FRA - IST flight.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Inventory is much tighter.

(1) Remember that Lufthansa just cut their F capacity on the 747s in half, from 16 seats on the upper deck to only assigning 8.

(2) Economy is recovering, flights are full, no more empty premium cabins the way we've gotten used to the past couple of years.

(3) It's a tough time to be looking for summer travel, those 11 month out and 6 month out seats are gone, seats being made available close to departure haven't been added yet...

deant likes this.
  7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Add to your comments, the fact that LH is not releasing A380 C and F awards it makes matters even worse. Since I am on the west coast, that eliminates the SFO - FRA LH flight which in the past had been pretty open.

8. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a trend that will continue. LH cutting redemption, sorry, first class capacity so dramatically will have a huge impact on TATL availability. Taking the A380 out of the mix hurts too. Considering CO management has a pretty poor track record for own-metal availability, and UA is dropping as many as 13 premium seats from their 777s, US-sourced availability will almost certainly remain tight.

9. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for two F awards SFO to Europe at the end of the summer. I have found several pretty good itins with a single ticket available. I'm considering booking one now and watching for another becoming available. 1K so no fees. Can anyone share an opinion or experience as to whether or not this might work out. Is there a reason it might be a bad idea?