*A award availability frustration. Help needed please!

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by tutone, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tutone

tutone Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello, all. I have searched a dozen sites and forums and cannot find a clear answer to my problem. I am trying to book *A award travel to Europe in 2013 using Dividend Miles. I found considerable availability in business class using Aeroplan, United, and Expertflyer websites. When I called US yesterday the agent said basically no flights were open to me. I then gave her specific flight numbers, as recommended by many forums, and the majority of these she said were not for US members. She further limited my dates of travel due to blackout dates. I was under the impression that US blackout dates did not apply to *A carriers.

So, was this agent just an idiot or are all these "available" awards on AP, UA, and EF just phantom awards? Does US really apply blackout dates for *A carriers? Many thanks!

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you need to hang up and call again. I don't think this agent knew what she was talking about.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for trying a different agent

Or try the wonderful wondering wandr.me search tools or ANA.

Do you have any specifics on which flights you're trying to book that they rejected?

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, just call back.

5. tutone

tutone Active Member

Status Points:
    I am flying from CLT to CDG anytime from June 14-17 in business class for four. I found LH on June 16 (ATL-FRA-CDG)...rejected. She rejected AC through Toronto. She couldn't find anything on UA even when I asked her to check connecting flights through IAD, ORD, EWR. She said Sat and Sun were blacked out for *A carriers anyway. She finally was able to see an OS flight (JFK-VIE-CDG) that I gave her and I put that on hold.

I want to return from Lyon or Marseilles from June 26-29. LH shows wide open availability from both airports connecting to MUC and then direct to CLT, in business. She said no! The only thing she found was out of CDG on June 27.

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just one clarification question: were these the saver awards that were available? (blue box on united) or were they the anytime awards (yellow box on united)?

7. tutone

tutone Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the awards showing on United were "blue box" Saver Awards. Good news, though, on my third call I finally found an agent who was magically able to make it all happen! I guess the lesson is keep trying until you get someone who can or will help...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the tactic that you have to employ with US, given how wildly inconsistent their DM agents are.