A 1K can earn at least 12 CR1s/RPUs in 2011. How well did you do?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Which RPU/CR1-earning rule do prefer

1. Old Rule

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. New Rule

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Don't care

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It used to be that one earned 2 CR1s for each quarter during which one flew 10K BIS miles. Beginning in Q1 2012, the new rule will be that 2 CR1s aka RPUs will be earned upon reaching 75k EQM/90EQS, and then two more every 25k EQM/30 EQS after that, with no limit to how many can be earned.

As you may know, during the transition from the old to the new rule, which is this year, UACO decided to implement both rules, meaning that a member reaching 1K can earn at least 12 CR1s/RPUs in 2011:
    • 2 CR1/Q x 4Q = 8 (old rule)
    • 2 after reaching 75KEQM/90EQS(new rule)
    • 2 after reaching 100KEQM/120EQS(new rule)
    for a Grand total of at least12 CR1s/RPUs.

So, I thought that it would be interesting to know how well folks have done in "stocking up" on CR1s during this, the sunset year of the old rule.

How did I do?
    • I earned 2 CR1s in Q2, 2 in Q3, and 2 in Q4 = 6
    • 2 CR1 at 75k EQM
    • I will reach 100k EQM next week with a RT to KOA for 2 more CR1s.
    I do not think that I will reach 125K EQM this year, so that my grand total for 2011 ONLY will be 10 CR1s/RPUs, with the earliest expiration date being Q2 2012. Kool.:cool: :)

Since, except for the year that UA had offered 2 DEQM promos, I usually make 1K without ever going near 125k EQM, I have the feeling that I will earn no more than 4 CR1s/RPUs/year under the new rule...bummer :(

2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happened to you in Q1?

I earned 14 CR1s this year, and that's where I will end the year.

2 for each quarter, plus the extra 2 at 75k, plus 2 at 100k and 2 more at 125k. I have more flights this year, but not enough to cross 150k EQMs

obviously I like the old method.

This is one of those things where anybody vested as a long term 1K in PMUA likes the old method and new people and people that make it to 75k but not 100k, and those from PMCO like the new method. (at least that's what it seems like to me, though I really don't understand it, and I'm not asking for an explanation either.)

BTW, I'm also going to end the year about 40k short of (old) 1MM BIS on PMUA. When they normalize the total, I will of course go over 1MM, but I won't get the 2 CR1s for that. So I guess I could have gotten 4 more had I done that in 2011. (2 at 150k and 2 more at 1MM lifetime BIS.)

I haven't let any of them expire unused.

I'm sure there's some road warriors that have earned a lot more CR1s than I have in 2011.

-David

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will UA & CO miles be added up to determine how many CR1's I earn this year? It seems to me that I am getting CR1's posted to my UA-MP account (I assume based on last year's 1K status) but not to my CO-OP account, and I haven't done the math to see if I am getting them only for the EQM's posted to UA-MP or if it is posting CR1's to UA-MP for my combined flying. The UA-MP account is showing me "progress to my next CR-1" based on my YTD UA-MP EQM's, I think.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you have linked accounts the credits are being combined during the year for crediting the CR1s. I've earned my 75, 100 and 125K already and my 150s will accrue after my hop to TPA this weekend.

Assuming you were already a 1K. That seems to be a part that gets left out every time this analysis is done. And it requires the flights to be on UA metal and the timing of the flights to be well adhered to.

I have no particular complaints about either version of the program but the new version is better for me personally.
    For me the value comes from not being tied to UA metal and not being tied to the calendar. I haven't looked at my records from this year to see if I would have earned under the old program or not; I know last year I would have done better under the new program than the old.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    This year I have earned 12 CR1s as of 11/20.
    I shall reach 1K for another year on December 18th.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are right on how it is crediting, but the display on both UA-MP & CO-OP websites is confusing. I have actually reached 100K EQM on UA-MP and 75K on CO-OP so both websites are showing me progress indicators to my next CR-1, but the progress indicators are inaccurate because they are based on the progress just within each program. I also think I got 8 SWUs this year - was there an extra SWU at 150K? Or did I get one under the MM program?
    On the one hand, I don't think I ever failed to get 10K UA EQMs in any quarter. On the other hand having all EQM flying count is nice. But while this year's program is certainly generous, aren't they taking away the 10K/quarter CR-1's next year and the only CR-1's to be earned are at 75K, 100K etc.? So anyone who flies just between 100K-125K/year will have 4 CR-1's instead of 8? Once that is implemented most everyone will be worse off.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earning 1K for the first time this year, I wish the old rule were still in place since I would get 8 vs. 6. But then again, given how the upgrade hierarchy is changing, maybe it's not too bad. There will be fewer CR1s out there, and attempts to thin the ranks of 1Ks (e.g., can't use Flex EQMs to get 1K) hopefully mean a UDU will be easier to get. Of course, that doesn't help on routes like ps service that don't allow UDU. I'm still okay with E+ on most flights.

mht_flyer likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm under the new Rules so for 200K EQM I only earned 12 CR1s...

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You get 2 SWUs every 50K and 2 CR1s every 25k. So at 150K you'd have 8 CR1s and 8 SWUs.

Yes, they are taking away the quarterly CR1s.

This year I didn't have any problems with the 10K number but I also am getting 8 CR1s anyways at 150K. Last year I know I did better on the new scheme because of my partner travel and spotty calendar.

10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about the true old rule??? (not that old, just a couple of years ago)

2 CR1's per quarter AND e500's on top of that (along with the 6 SWU's plus anther 2 at 125K):). Never had to deal with the UDU, just pick the flight you wanted to UG and bingo, you get the UG right then and there:D

I sure miss the good old days

jupper and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 SWUs every 50K would mean 6 SWUs, but I think I got 8

2 CR1s every 25K starts only at 75K, right? so you get them at 75K, 100K, 125K and 150K.

12. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 SWUs for every 50k after 100k. So 8 is correct (6 for 100k, 2 for 150k)

Correct, as far as I know.

Wandering Aramean and Seacarl like this.
  13. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    given that you travel like the rest of us, if the old rules were in effect, it's likely you would have gotten 2 each quarter plus 2 @ 75k, 100k, 125k and 150k after your TPA trip. Also, you would have gotten 2 extra SWUs at 150k.

Like Carl, I can't remember a time when I didn't get 2 per quarter.

But, yes, it is true that the new rules are better for people that bunch up all of their revenue EQM-earning travel in short periods, rather than spreading it out so they are flying at least 10k per quarter.

I always think of you as the example of somebody that tries to justify the new system as being better than the old one. :) But here you are attempting to be Switzerland for a change. :D

For this year, I ended up with 14 CR1s, and 2 were the extra ones at 75k. So under the old rules, I would have gotten 12 (2 x 10k per quarter, 2@100k, 2@125k). Under the new rules, I would get 6, I believe (2@75k, 2@100k, 2@125k).

The better way to reward people for flying 75k, would have been to simply award 2 CR1s to non-1k members who cross the 75k threshold. then they would still get 2 more at 100k (plus quarterlies after that) etc. But they didn't want to do that, but professed to improving the program for everybody. Which, let's face it, is not what they actually did. When it was pointed out that they were lying about it, they made the one time exception.

I think they should have at least offered to kiss us after that.

And you can try to justify it as much as you want to, but these things essentially cost nothing to issue because they are capacity controlled, so as long as they are managing the space properly, it doesn't really cost them anything other than the IT cost of administering an existing program. Everybody I know, including me, has expiring SWUs this year for a variety of reasons, so they clearly know how to manage the available space for these things. (ok, I suppose there's a small incremental cost of a meal on PS flights, and flights like EWR-HNL but in all other cases, including uses on UDU-eligible flights, there is no cost.)

-David

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happened in Q1 is that at the end of 2010 I redeemed a TPAC trip (JFK-SFO- PVG-SFO-JFK) in XF for 145K RDM, just to experience what it is like to do a long haul trip in F. Because I returned to NYC in Jan 2011, after the EQM counters had been reset to zero, and I'd earned no BIS miles from the TPAC rdm, Q1 just passed me by with only BIS for a single JFK<->SFO trip, way short of 10K BIS. After that I quickly recovered and earned CR1s every quarter.

Fair point, but I thought this was generally well understood, and the title of thread clearly implies that this is applicable only to those who are already 1K.

I tend to agree fully with the bolded line in the post. My travel is almost exclusively Intl so I have more use for SWUs than for CR1s, but I suspect that the new rule was not designed to benefit elites who do not do long haul travel in C or F and can accumulate more than 300K EQM/yr. Remember that after they instituted UDU, UA did do away with CR1s until a general outcry denouncing the move caused it to be rescinded. I feel that the new rule for earning CR1s was carefully crafted to achieve, on a smaller scale, what had been intended by doing away with CR1s.

15. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like my goal to be legitimately 1k on both lines is going to fail. SQ doesn't provide the 50% bump to mileage for MP that it does for OP. It probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway. I should have throw that last LHR trip MP's way.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not considering the combined rules because that's a one-off situation. This year was a wash for me. Last year the new rules would have been better for me. I know that doesn't make it better for everyone but I'm pointing out a very real example of the fact that it also isn't necessarily worse for everyone.
    :rolleyes:

This is absolutely false. There is a real cost to offering these upgrades. It might not be a high cost, but there is definitely a cost. Even if it is just the cost of carrying the additional miles that never get redeemed because I upgrade with a SWU rather than miles (and now with cash + points there is an unrealized cash revenue component, too) there is definitely a cost.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't count how many I earned this year (10-12, I'd guess), but I know I will do much worse next year as I likely won't aim (and reach) 1K status again for a change. If I reach Platinum, I'll get 2 CR1s while under the old regime I would have received 4-6. If I only go for the Gold, I'll get bupkis (and apparently like it).

That said, most of my recent CR1 "burns" have been on trips to Hawaii where I probably would have cleared with UDU anyway... but CR1s gave me the peace of mind and better choice of seats.

18. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe I have earned 14 CR1's this year.

Someone mentioned the e500's. I used to love watching those add up and recall it was not uncommon to see 40 or 50 of those things in one's account at times.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earned 6 in 2010 through the "10K UA metal EQMs/quarter" thus far and 4 for crossing the 75K and 100K thresholds. Not sure if I will pick up another 2 this quarter since I'm just at 6K UA metal EQMs (not sure it's worth a MR but might get bored between Christmas and New Years!). Been using CR1s fairly regularly through the year on flights where it is clear UDU won't be possible (like yesterday where both segments were on A319/320s and even GSs were in the back!). Also just cleared my PS LAX-JFK for Monday afternoon. Have given lots of them to friends for their flights through the year too.

jupper likes this.
  20. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm a newly minted 1K after my flights post, I will say I would've liked the old system, although I see reason/value in the new system as well. The new system is throwing a bone to 1P's to get to 1K-lite/Platinum. From a revenue management perspective, the old system probably made a bit more sense on the UA side.

21. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be 12 for me when the latest sweep hits

22. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not just false, but absolutely false?

There's a negligible cost, given that the IT infrastructure for tracking these things already exists. You're assuming people are going to use miles instead of these things, or that these things are only used on trips not eligible for things like UDU, I suppose. I really think the cost is so negligible they gain more from the good will of having it than not having it, but that's certainly subjective. Just as subjective as your assertion.

This is exactly why I usually never bother to respond to any of your posts. It's just not worth it.

-David

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reductio ad absurdum: Suppose UA has a flight that is about to take off but still has loads of C and/or F seats that are empty because, for what ever reason, people did not purchase them. What is the cost to UA to upgrade their frequent-flyers, who had purchased Y tickets, to fill those empty C and/or F seats? IMHO, the cost would be minimal but what the airline would get back in goodwill would probably be priceless... In a nutshell, that is the very rationale for the various upgrade schemes: to get back a load in goodwill for doing something that costs the airlines relatively little to provide.

24. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case there would be no need for the CR1s and SWUs. UA could upgrade at the gate on a space-available basis just like they do with UDUs on domestic flights.

I don't want to put words in Seth's mouth, but my guess is he means that UA pays a cost by offering people the opportunity to secure and advance upgrade. That's one less seat for sale. Obviously we'd all like to know three months out that our seat in business is secure rather than waiting for the last moment. That's why some people use miles or instruments to upgrade even on routes where UDU is available. Like I did for SFO-OGG coming up. Probably didn't need to, but I wanted to make sure my girlfriend had her window seat on the way there. I'll roll the dice for a UDU on the way back.

At the same time, I think that offering UDU on domestic routes probably does hurt the ability of UA to sell those seats for real cash. This is probably why CR1s and SWUs are required for some routes. They're valuable enough that they can't be compromised. A SWU is a compromise, allowing valued customers to secure an upgrade while ensuring that enough people will still pay up. Rewards for loyalty are smart. Giving them away willy nilly is just bad business.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's up to UA whether they want to keep the seat in the for-sale inventory or make it available for upgrades early on.

Confirmable-at-booking upgrades may cost UA some C/F sales because the pax might not have taken the UDU gamble and forked over the $$$ for F if NC/NF with CR1/SWU wasn't an option. I am pretty sure I would never be in that category for domestic F, but I have bought int'l Z fares instead of hoping that my wife's SWU-sponsored W fare would clear on the 11 hr trip to Europe. The extra EQM and reduced price differential between W and Z in the summer helped, too, of course.

Scottrick likes this.