A 10-Sandwich Tour of Philadelphia

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by ACMM, Apr 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, euromannn and Sammich like this.
  2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Philadelphie? A bit too early to be drinkin' mate ;)

uggboy likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Corrected but thanks so much for the useful comment.

uggboy and Sammich like this.
  4. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

ACMM,

Land in PHL APR 20 4:30PM...have a 5 hour layover.

How far from airport must I go to capture a authentic Philly Cheesesteak sandwich?
    Cost in transportation & sandwich! hahaha thanks

uggboy, ACMM and Sammich like this.
  5. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would take the train from the airport to Reading Terminal and visit the Market there. DiNicks Roast Pork is a great Philly Sandwich. Please don't go to Pat's Steaks or Genos. They are not the best cheesesteaks in Philly, only the most famous. I prefer Jim's or D'Alessandro's. You COULD POSSIBLY get off the train at Reading Terminal and get to Jim's by cab and still make it back to the airport, but I don't know the train schedules. I don't think I'd take the chance. If you want a great sandwich, stick to the first option of the Reading Terminal Market.

uggboy likes this.
  6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much does it cost and time to ride RT to Reading Terminal?
    How much is the Roast Pork sandwich?

I thought Philly CHeessteak sandwich was rib eye beef? I am not a fan of The Whiz cheese style...the other cheese(mozzarella)?

uggboy likes this.
  7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be lying if I said I knew the price of the rail from the airport to Reading terminal, but I would guess no more than $10 RT. The sandwich I would also be guessing, but under $10 for sure.

uggboy likes this.
  8. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer my cheesesteak with American Cheese, sauce, fried onions and occasionally banana peppers.

satman40 and uggboy like this.
  9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:

Reading Terminal Market
    215-923-6175
    Tues–Sat: 9-6 | Sun-Mon: 9–4

Since I arrive Monday, APR 20th, Reading Market will be closed before I land.
    Thanks

uggboy likes this.
  10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well...whiz wit= cheese & onions

SO..>AMercian cheese sounds good, onions, and banana peppers? I want to try the fruit option!

uggboy likes this.
  11. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are not even good cheesesteaks. Friends don't let friends go to Pat's or Geno's.

Cheesesteaks are too religious to be able to agree on the best one. It's north of downtown, but I think Max's Steaks reigns supreme. YMMV.

12. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    But is MAx's open on Monday after 6pm?
    And where is Max's located?

uggboy likes this.
  13. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bing is your friend. Hours vary but open until 11:00 pm on Mondays. It's located at 3653 Germantown Ave. (Erie and Broad) in North Philly. The neighborhood is quite "urban," but not at all as rough it is seems. Max's is a couple of blocks north of Temple Hospital and med school. Half a block from the Erie station on the Broad Street (subway) Line.

Note: They only took cash the last time I was there.

14. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it could be risky for someone without access to a car and not knowing the city to go into less accessible areas trying to make a 5 hour connection. There are many good places to get cheesesteaks. Everyone has their own idea of what makes "the best". You definitely won't find it at Pat's or Geno's. Jim' s on South St is good, but tour buses stop there nowadays.

Reading Terminal is such an easy in/out from the airport, and also an interesting destination just to look around. I didn't realize it closed on Monday. Seems strange.

If you get in on time or better yet a few mins early, you might make the 4:43 train to Jefferson Station which is only a few minutes walk to the Market. Plenty of time to grab a sandwich

ImageUploadedByMilepoint1428456629.378890.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that it can be difficult to get a taxi to or from the area of Philadelphia around Temple University.

uggboy likes this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a taxi there, keep the meter running, grab sandwich and go?

uggboy likes this.
  17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had the roast pork sandwich from Di Nics at Reading terminal on Saturday and although it was good it was no where as good as the (lightly) toasted (and pressed) roast pork sandwich from the (local)
    Palm River sandwich shop in Tampa

18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed dayone & brucewil !!

Best sandwich in Philadelphia IMO are the roast pork sandwiches, w/aged provolone and broccoli rabe.

skip the cheesesteaks unless they can be made with real cheese, not that cheez whiz crap. Actually the best cheesesteak sandwiches I've had have been outside Philadelphia at Penn Station in Cincinnati (& elsewhere) http://www.penn-station.com/ and Philly's Best in Chicago: http://www.phillysbest.com/ but if in Chicago, the Italian Beef sandwich reigns supreme.

Newscience likes this.
  19. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rather enjoy the Reading Terminal - the Marriott is just down the road from it and my comped Gold status via UA 1MM comes in handy there. Last visit I had a breakfast omelette.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

newbluesea likes this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are those the breakfast omelets in your photo above?:)
    My next favorite at Reading Terminal are the cookies from Termini Brothers, not cheap but very, very good.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    satman40 likes this.
  21. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looked around and can't find the breakfast photos. That was during a winter storm that had me spending the night in PHL instead of BOS.

satman40 likes this.
  22. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tony Lukes is just a few minutes from the Airport (I normally go upon arrival or depature) and a gas station next door to fill up the rental before heading on the Freeway.. The Roast Pork and Rabe is very good. Location is: 39 East Oregon St.. (orginal location)

brucewil, Sweet Willie and satman40 like this.
  23. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen brother

brucewil and Flying Machine like this.
  24. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh since it is dear to my heart, and I wouldn't want my fellow crazy traveler brethren to miss anything.

If you're actually IN Philadelphia, the place you want to go is called "Steve's Prince of Steaks". There are a couple of locations but none are convenient to the airport unfortunately. One is in the Northeast just off the Roosevelt Boulevard ( Route 1) . The other is at the corner of Bustleton and St Vincent Streets.

If you're in the Airport area, I like Tony Luke's as well. Even Jim's on South street if you want what most of the pizza places in Philly serve as a cheese steak.

But "if you're serious" and you're on a mission for the Best sandwich in town.... I've given you all you need.

Have a great summer all.

Oh and Tony Luke's is in Citizens Bank as well so if you want to catch a Phils game, you can do a double shot. Some round ball and a sammidge.

Flying Machine likes this.
  25. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a sandwich pre se. But the square Pizza Bread with or without cheese at Sarcones Bakery (down the block from Sarcones, an actual sandwich place with very good sandwiches, hoagies) is just fantastic. Besides the pizza bread at the bakery. Sarcones is a well know and very very good hoagie shop. In fact, Sarcone rolls are very famous in the Philly area and I visit both each time I am in town. Safe travels and Happy eating..