$99 for HP TouchPad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Scottrick, Aug 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rumors online that Best Buy (and others?) are going to get rid of all the huge, unsold HP TouchPad inventory with a $99 fire sale price.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/238536/99_touchpad_too_good_to_pass_up.html

I don't think I would buy one even at $99. If they don't want it, why would you? But some people may be interested. I can't find it on Best Buy's site as they may be updating the inventory, but there is a telling link to a "TouchPad Return and Price Match Policy."

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-Promotions/HP TouchPad return and Price Match policy details/pcmcat250800050019.c?id=pcmcat250800050019

sobore, Kung Pao and Brooklyn Bum like this.
  2. Brooklyn Bum

Brooklyn Bum Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a 32GB TouchPad owner I'm really sad to see it come to this.

webOS really is an amazing tablet OS.

I'm returning mine to Best Buy today. No reason to keep a device that is abandoned.

:(

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently this sale had resulted in long lines at some Best Buy locations this morning. Someone reported elsewhere on MP that the online inventory was gone.

4. Brooklyn Bum

Brooklyn Bum Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I've read online over at PreCentral Best Buy isn't selling them anymore, HP is sold out, and the rest of the retailers are a crap shoot.

5. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    deltaGOLDflyer and phsu like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is Best Buy going to do with the 200k+ that earlier this wek were reported to be unsold in their warehouses? Even if they manage to convince HP to take them back, they'll eventually have to go somewhere (doubt they are going to recycle them if they can get $100+ for them).

7. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    HP Business is supposed to be still taking orders if you don't mind waiting all day on the phone

8. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, they could sell them for $99 like everyone else in the US and Canada. At that price they are disappearing and people who buy them are happy. With those volumes of users, someone will eventually port Android Honeycomb to the device (some reports suggest this has already been done) and it only takes one...

Here in the UK we haven't yet got any discounts on the HP Touchpads that are in circulation. I will buy one if I get the chance.

viguera likes this.
  9. Kung Pao

Kung Pao Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were released in Australia on Monday and taken off the market on Thursday. The 1200 people who bought them were offered a full refund.

Scottrick likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They should be given a refund and get to keep the devices, to compensate them for the time they have spent waiting for it and then setting it up. Taking the devices back (with full refund) just adds additional costs to HP's losses in this endeavor.

Kung Pao likes this.
  11. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I too am very sad.. HP truly helped make Silicon Valley what it is today :(
    I wouldn't have bought one previously..

Yet @ $99. I certainly would now..
    Lil' doubt you will be able to run Android Honeycomb on it..

For those who care Galaxy SII will be out Monday, 8/29 ..
    It's VERY nice! :)

Who would have ever thought last week that today it would be harder to find an HP TouchPad than an iPad2?

In any case, hope everyone is having a great weekend :)

12. flamingo

flamingo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flamingo went to 2 parties (lunch & dinner) today and missed this deal. When I come back @ 7:30pm and tried to call 10+ retail & on-line stores --> w/o success:mad: ==> Flamingo just go through EBay to pay $175 :( for one 16GB TouchPad...

I am happy now since I can bring this new TouchPad to SMD 3 now:p -- I do not need to bring my 6-lb laptop!

13. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was very tempted to get in on this deal though just could not justify it in the end. I think HP shot themselves in the foot when they released this about 2 builds too early making the initial reviews garbage. Those who subsequently reviewed it or updated their review were big fans and saw considerable speed improvements though when you come into the market and you lag far behind the competition and you sell for the same price its just not a winning strategy.

14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIUC, they were not offered for sale at any Best Buy stores yesterday. Now, it seems that they are to be made available at B&M stores instead of being sent back to HP. I expect them to sell out quickly when each store opens this morning. The BB stores around here don't open until 11am on Sunday.

15. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anyone purchased one and is now having second thoughts i would be interested in purchasing it from you. Please PM me.

16. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a 16GB for $125 incl shipping on ebay. I figured it wasn't worth spending more than the 1/2 day i already spent trying to get one for $99

phsu, adl73x and SC Flier like this.
  17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got one at Radio Shack late yesterday as soon as the price dropped there. Timing was everything. I knew that the price had dropped before the store found out.

I actually got two there, but one is a demo unit. And rumor is that WebOS accounts can't be created from demo units -- effectively making them bricks. I'll have to return it if this issue isn't resolved.

18. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been keeping up with the availability on Slick Deals. As least they are good for one thing (other then killing MR Deals:mad: )

SC Flier likes this.
  19. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Advice from HP UK customer service today was that it was likely the UK prices for the Touchpad would come down between 9am and 10am on Monday, UK time. Better late than never. Being Monday might give me an edge.

Then the fun will begin :)

20. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is too sweet to miss. did 2 on amazon and 2 on costcentral and hope to get any in the end!

CDKing likes this.
  21. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't paying attention when Cost Central went up and now I cant get their page to load

22. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
  23. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Harvey Norman sells HP TouchPad at $100 in Australia.

HARVEY NORMAN will sell Hewlett-Packard's discontinued TouchPad tablet computer for just $98 from 2pm AEST in a dramatic fire sale designed to get rid of its remaining 4800 units.

The Australian fire sale is being held following a meeting with Harvey Norman this morning where HP agreed to fund the liquidation sale.

Harvey Norman's Ben McIntosh said all TouchPad accessories will be sold at half price.

Harvey Norman, the sole distributor of the TouchPad in Australia, removed it from shelves on Friday following HP's global announcement to discontinue it.

Mr McIntosh, the general manager of Harvey Norman's computers and communications division, said the units would be available in all Harvey Norman stores until sold out.
    [more at the link above]

I managed to get one 16gb($98.00) and a 32gb($148.00) and my wife picked up a 32gb as a gift for a friend. :)

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CDKing, msny, SC Flier and 1 other person like this.
  25. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Price has just dropped on the 16GB on barnesandnoble.com to $101.95 + shipping. 32GB has not dropped yet.

(TouchPads do not qualify for free shipping even if you add additional items that do.)

Don't forget to use a referral program such as ebates.com (6%) or airline shipping program.

My ebates.com referral link.

CDKing likes this.