9250 Avois for $280 usd is that a good deal and...

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by daninstl, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Club Carlson has a 50% points buy deal right now so you can buy 40,000 (the annual max) points for $280 plus they give you 20,000 as a bonus so you end up with 60,000 points which can in turn be redeemed by them for 9,250 Avois so that is 3.027 cents per Avois. Seems like a great deal or at least good deal? Also I'm sitting on 146,000 club carlson points mostly from hotel bonus deals earlier this year. So is it worth it to buy the 60k and use the 148k to turn in for 38,000 Avois? The points are good for about 4 or 5 decent hotel nights so figure $500'ish value plus the $280 for the buy. 38,000 Avois at say $800 in value doesn't seem really great.

2. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I beleive to calculate this you take 280/9250 which gets you .0302. So that is 3 cents per mile (not .03 cents per mile right?).

Did I set that math up correctly?

As for whether 3 cents per mile is a good deal, I'll let someone else answer that because I do not know :)

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes your are correct. 3.027 cents is what I figured. Problem is I think I can just buy the Avois outright for 2.28 cents (see my thread on buying from BA with current bonus). I just can't figure out if this is my best use of Club Carlson points. Is this the best airline to redeem on (all things considered even).

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's no such thing as "all other things being equal" when it comes to this question.

9,250 Avios + taxes, fees and charges would get you two short short-haul one-way tickets (or one round-trip ticket) if that's of any value to you (plus leave you with 250 Avios left over).

9,250 Avios + TFC is 74% of the miles needed to upgrade one-way from WT+ to CW to most North American destinations, or 92.5% of the miles needed for some of the shorter trans-Atlantic routes.

Those are two of the sweet spots of BAEC. But there are other circumstances in which 9,250 Avios might be worth virtually nothing.

If you can buy Avios at 2.3 cents, why would you even consider buying them at 3.0 cents unless you wanted more than you can buy at the lower price?

daninstl and viguera like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree but my buying at 2.3 it capped at a certain buy level of buying 24k + 6k bonus right now through BA. Normally it would be closer to the 3.0 I think. I'm steering away from the buy but I'm still sitting on 146k Club Carlson points and wonder if BA is the best redemption. I know, I know it depends on the use. I'm thinking I might use them short haul from STL to MIA for the family as a launching pad for a cruise. Seems like a good value for that use. Transatlantic with the taxes it's worth it IMHO.

6. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    you rarely find a good deal transferring hotel to airline, or vice versa. The redemption value per point is usually much higher using them in the program earned. The exception being UR and MR. My subjective value of an Avios is around 1.7 cents per avios, so this transfer would be a bad deal for me.

daninstl likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can still buy miles with BD until 10/28 and then transfer to BA- up to 24,000 (that won't count against your BA mile purchases).

And no, of course you shouldn't buy BA Avios at 3 cpm.

daninstl likes this.
  8. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Miles/points are always more valuable at the margin (where a few points puts you over a threshold to get a nice award). If these miles will do that for you, and you have a short-term goal for those miles, and you have no other way to accumulate a similar number of miles, then this might be a good deal. I would rarely choose to pay 3 cents for a BA mile as one can transfer AMEX to BA and there are transfer bonuses much of the year. If you don't have a short-term use of the BA points, just get an AMEX with a nice sign up bonus and wait for the next transfer promo.

As for what to do with your current CC points - I have no idea.

daninstl likes this.