9 year old stows away on MSP-LAS flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Mike Reed, Oct 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Article at link: http://bit.ly/17J2c3f

Makes you wonder who did the count on this aircraft? From the article:

I could see that - focusing on adults and assuming they had the BP for the child. Still, a nine year old is going to require a boarding pass and a seat... they're not a lap child. Wonder if he waited until near the end so he could find an empty seat not likely to get challenged?

Wow, this kid has some chutzpah! Crafty for a nine year old...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    bez7, sobore, bigx0 and 1 other person like this.
  2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Sounds like the flight crew failed multiple pre-flight checks

bez7 likes this.
  3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Flight Crew? Sounds like the parents/guardians failed to control this runaway child!

The blame is not the airlines alone. As said in the article, this is a major fail on several levels and by several agencies.

4. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points:
    Of course, I agree... I didn't say the parent's aren't to blame. But there is an obvious fail with the gate agents and flight crew.

bez7 and KENNECTED like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Delta and the TSA are "investigating" this. :D

bez7, sobore and goalie like this.
  6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oopsie ;)

And out of an abundance of caution, the TSA has now added 9 year old boys from Minnesota to the prohibited items list ;)

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the TSA. Why can't they be part of the shutdown? They're consistently proving themselves nonessential.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points:
    Too true!

estnet and bez7 like this.
  10. This kid deserves honorary platinum status and the whole chain that let him through should be fired.

Gargoyle, JoeCortez and bez7 like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now it appears that the kid went airside the previous day also. (The place he ate lunch is airside.) How did the TSA document checker let him through twice with no boarding pass?

bez7 likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about his school? He apparently skipped two days in a row. Aren't parents supposed to be notified?

I'm somewhat more disturbed by his decision to take another passenger's bag from the belt in baggage claim. It's OK to take something that doesn't belong to you and use it as a prop to get through TSA security?

OTOH, most people check bags when the bag can't be taken through TSA security. Chances are the bag was either too big, contained liquids, or contained other items that TSA prohibits, such as corkscrews with little foil cutters, large scissors, knives, etc. I wonder whether TSA should have let the bag pass.

LETTERBOY and bez7 like this.
  13. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because they are deemed "essential". HA. I had to laugh when typing that!

flyforawg, Gargoyle and bez7 like this.
  14. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to hand it to the boy, he was polite enough not to wake the TSA as he passed through security.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now some of the media are saying that the kid has had behavior problems and was suspended from school. Still, how could he have been missing from home for a while on Wednesday and then gone since Thursday morning without the parents frantically calling the police?

There are various reports about whether he got through TSA security a day earlier or not, presumably with the stolen bag. At first it sounded like he did, but now it appears that the restaurant where he had lunch and escaped without paying was landside. Speculation is that he was watching TSA procedures.

I suspect it may have been luck that the LAS flight was full enough that the GA was busy and distracted but empty enough that he could grab a free seat easily. He might have gotten away with it if he had been seated near an adult or two who looked like they might be his parent. Maybe the mistake was failing to take a middle seat.

bez7 likes this.
  16. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If both parents work then he could have been on his own anyway...

Gargoyle and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably a different TSA guy each day. They probably rotate through the checkpoints.

bez7 and Gargoyle like this.
  18. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I thought their turnover was so high that they are hiring new TSO's every day.

bez7 likes this.
  19. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still, they should be checking boarding passes for all travelers...TSA didn't do their job, even if the kid was standing close enough to an adult

LETTERBOY and viguera like this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I read as well... that he "tagged along" with a group and the TSO didn't notice, or figured he had already checked his boarding pass. Getting airside is bad, but getting inside the plane is even worse IMO.

Getting inside the airplane though, and actually making it to your destination, without a boarding pass, now that takes a lot more in the way of failures.

And the whole "grab a bag from the carousel" only serves to reinforce the problems with that whole setup. I did notice that some UA carousels at JFK are not accessible at all from the street -- and if you come out the wrong way and need to go to baggage claim you need to show a guard your boarding pass, so that's a bit better.

bez7 and Gargoyle like this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correction: If the pictures of the restaurant shown on TV are correct, it's landside, not airside. So perhaps he didn't go through TSA security the day before. Inconclusive.

LETTERBOY, SuperKirby and bez7 like this.
  22. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No question, failures all around. From TSA to GAs they should have been at least countin passengers and boarding passes. Shoot, I've had TSA agents even ask my children what their names were just to make sure they had boarding passes. And a 9 year old is not like a 2 year old, they definitely must have a boarding pass to get airside and onto the plane.

viguera, LETTERBOY and SuperKirby like this.
  23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one time we took our son as a lap infant he still needed a boarding pass, it just said "infant in lap" or something like that on it.

Nowadays (he's 3 1/2) he has his own boarding pass, and in the years he's been flying in his own seat there has never been a TSO that didn't check to make sure he had one.

We flew with him into MSP earlier this year and we never saw this kind of oversight.

bez7 likes this.
  24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    On two recent DL flights, I noticed young kids who obviously weren't in the same cabin as a parent and who also very obviously hadn't paid the required UM fee. I was shocked that GAs aren't enforcing this more carefully, not only for the revenue but also as a matter of protecting people, especially the kids. On my last flight, I observed the at most seven-year-old escape from the first row (dad and a sibling were way in the back, as they got one upgrade at the gate) and look lost in a deserted airport at 11:30 pm. It was rather scary as something bad easily could have happened.

bez7 and viguera like this.
  25. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points: