9 Things Every Business Traveler Should Pack In Their Carry-On

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Nov 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/things-business-travelers-should-pack-in-carry-on-2013-11

Corporate jet-setters are all too familiar with frenzied trips through the airport: the checking in, security navigation, endless waiting, and eating on the go. And that's before they've even boarded the plane.
    Since these road warriors have experienced it all, we wanted to know what they keep in their carry-on to make traveling easier, less expensive, and generally more enjoyable.
    A few frequent fliers helped us compile a list of the essential items they always keep conveniently packed in their carry-on bags:

Stop paying for airport WiFi, and stay connected with your own MiFi hotspot.
    Unless you're interested in shelling out up to $12 to use airport WiFi, it's a good idea to invest in a WiFi hotspot of your own.
    With its slim, credit card-sized package and simple access to 4G networks, personal MiFi hotspots like the Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE MiFi are a personal favorite of Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer and David Rush, co-founder and CEO of Evzdrop.com.
    "It is a huge time-saver because you always know you can stay connected regardless of your location," Rush told Busines Insider. "It also makes meetings efficient and gets you instantly online with a great connection."

Ditch the pricey GPS navigation system on your rental car, and bring your own.
    Car rental agencies are notorious for tacking on hidden fees on essential accessories like GPS navigation systems.
    Save yourself some cash by bringing your own along (plenty are small enough to fit in your purse or carry-on bag). If you don't already own one, it's simple enough to turn your smartphone into a GPS device all on its own.
    Rig up a do-it-yourself smartphone stand for your dashboard, or invest in a ready-made mount for under $30.

Don't waste money on water bottles and purification tablets, and bring a reusable filtration bottle.
    "My number one tip is to invest in a water bottle with a filter," said Talia Salem, a communications rep for PlanetWildlife. "I have taken this all over the world and it has saved me hundreds of dollars."
    There are dozens to choose from online. Salem is a fan of the Camelback Groove ($25), and we're crazy for AquaGear water filtration bottles ($29.99).
    They remove 99.99% of tap water contaminants and can save up to 600 plastic bottles over their lifetime.

Read More: http://www.businessinsider.com/things-business-travelers-should-pack-in-carry-on-2013-11

Newscience, MSYgirl and TRAVELSIG like this.
  2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good tips - I practice quite a few of them already.

Newscience, sobore and TRAVELSIG like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

Newscience and sobore like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Instant coffee? Really?

Sammich and Newscience like this.
  5. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly, I tried Starbucks Via, tastes absolutely horrible. I'd rather take a 5 minute nap if I'm flying red-eye than drinking coffee.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked up a good small hand-pump water filter on a trip to Africa a few years ago. It really came in handy then, and it's ready to be used the next time I travel where the drinking water is dicey, and bottled water isn't everywhere. Another great addition to my luggage is a small water heater to boil water for that Starbucks Via. Yes, it's not fresh gourmet coffee, but sure is better than a 5 buck cup of semi-joe in a restaurant. Speaking of which, a travel mug is also a great addition, especially where "to go" coffee does not exist.

Sammich likes this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And rather than tote around a GPS or pay for Internet Access for your phone. A folded map or even a small atlas is a good idea (but I am prejudiced.)

Newscience and MX like this.