$9 Spirit Airlines flight to Vegas from San Diego! But what does it really cost?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by Horse, Jun 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airline Offers $9 Flights to Las Vegas
    Spirit's cheap flights to Vegas part of San Diego non-stop launch
    By Michael Gehlken
    | Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 | Updated 1:01 PM PDT

Spirit Airlines is offering $9 flights to Las Vegas from San Diego to commemorate the launch of its new non-stop service between the cities, the airline announced Thursday.

Spirit will sell the cheap flights to Las Vegas to customers who purchase Thursday and Friday for selected September dates. The airline, know for its low-cost airfare, will begin flying twice daily from San Diego to Las Vegas on Sept. 7 and three times a day beginning Sept. 22.

"This convenient new service is bound to benefit tourism in both cities," said Robert Gleason, Airport Authority board chair. "The arrival of Spirit Airlines underscores the Airport Authority’s ongoing commitment to enhancing air service for the San Diego region.”

The $9 one-way tickets, which do not include fees and taxes, can be purchased on Spirit's website.

The special's applicable days for departing the San Diego International Airport are Sept. 13-14, Sept. 20-21, and Sept. 27. Commuters can depart from McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas on the same dates for the same price.

The deal expires after Friday.

Spirit will begin 7 a.m. and noon flights to Las Vegas on Sept. 7 and add a daily 6:55 p.m. trip on Sept. 22.

From Las Vegas to San Diego, Spirit Airlines leaves Sin City on 5:05 p.m. and 9:10 p.m. on Sept. 7 before adding a 10:15 a.m. departure.
    Each flight is scheduled to run an hour and 10 minutes.

BeachMiles and Chimpy like this.
  2. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it seems the $9 ticket is really $97 after all the taxes and fees are applied.

by Ed Teachout
    NWCN.com
    Posted on June 23, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    Updated today at 12:06 PM

PORTLAND -- Spirit Airlines announced a new service from Portland to Las Vegas this week with an enticing short-time offer of a $9 flight to Las Vegas.

Vivian Ashworth jumped on the offer.

"I saw there were nine dollar flights, then I saw on some days there were dollar flights," she told KGW.

What she learned in the process of booking her flight was that Spirit charges for carry-on bags and an assigned seat.

"I thought what are they going to do put me in the overhead bin or sit on the floor," Ashworth said, "or put me with the pilot or whatever and they said yeah you have to pay for the seat."

The airline actually offers a choice of paying extra for the assigned seat, a snack or drink. None of the above is not an option.

This week, the airline also announced that in November, it would begin charging $5 for boarding passes if the gate agent has to print it out. Passengers can print their own in a check-in kiosk, but starting next June, that will cost you a dollar.

Those announcements were cast as a savings by Spirit when the airline also announced it was reducing fares by $5.

Ashworth was still pleased by what amounts to a bargain flight to Las Vegas. She said the tab reached $97.40. Her quarrel was that it was advertised as something else than what was real.

"I just hope when I get (to the airport) they're aren't more charges," she said, "I hope the pilot knows how to fly the airplane. And I hope there is a pilot, or do I have to pay for him?"

SC Flier, BeachMiles and Chimpy like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And on top of that you have to fly Spirit! :eek:

Horse and Chimpy like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier and Horse like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

That's pretty low by Spirit standards. Their "$9 fare" to Florida usually ends up costing $150 or more by the time you're done, even if you belong to their $9 club.

6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hardly anyone would actually want such a same day return. And hardly anyone wants a 7-day trip. But the $1 fares are pretty much just 1 day per week.

Horse and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.