uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || 9/11 museum to charge admission fee ||

[​IMG]

sobore likes this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must agree with the relatives of victims here. It's absolutely stupid to charge an admission fee for something like this. Maybe do what other countries do and reduce the fee for citizens of the US and charge for foreigners? That would make sense to me.

uggboy and NYBanker like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The challenge with your plan is most Americans don't have passports!

While I know there are costs to run such a venue, how would people feel if there was an admission fee to the Vietnam Memorial or the WWII Memorial.

Clearly there's a way. Here's an ideal...Let's cut funding for the Department of Agriculture by 0.5% to cover this cost. Surely Ag can find a way to save a few pennies without sacrificing their mission. Or...we could cut customs pre-clearance in Shannon Airport (for the [two] flights a day to the US from SNN)?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand, but all Americans do have SS numbers...nonetheless, I am confident that such a plan would be logistically plausible. It doesn't matter though as we aren the ones making the choices.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's often forgotten, but 12% of the victims of 9/11 attacks were foreign nationals. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_September_11_attacks#Foreign_casualties for a breakdown by country.

I am not sure why it would make sense to charge for admission to this museum, for anyone. I have visited the memorial plaza, but I don't think I would visit the museum if I am being charged $25. It just seems wrong.

I would not provide my Social Security number to a private organization for the purpose of determining my citizenship (and it won't work anyway, since there are LOTS of foreign citizens with social security numbers).

uggboy likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or we could withdraw from Afghanistan a couple days earlier. Or something like that. Lots of opportunities to save.

MX, skyvan and uggboy like this.
  7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean? Mine is 003-44-2185. Prove it isn't ;)

I guess its new york, everything cost at least $25 right?

(In truth I agree, no more should there a be fee for it than for the Vietnam Memorial, though the Irony of charging money for access to the memorial to destruction of a temple of capitalism is not lost on me)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  9. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's unfortunate that they have to charge (especially if as expensive as 25.00, why not 5.00), but there is a difference between the Washington memorials -- they are run by NPS while I believe the museum is a private organization and not related to any gov't agency like NPS.

The Memorial isn't actually charging a fee, it's the Museum. They are saying that admission to the Memorial will still be free.

That said, personally I would have liked to see NPS run the memorial in NYC as opposed to it being a private organization especially since the Flight 93 Memorial is: http://www.nps.gov/flni/

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on the new loan! ;)
    I hadn't picked up on that but now do indeed see it too!
    Perhaps some other budding entrepreneur will open a competing museum and charge $20?

Muerl likes this.
  11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all NPS sites are free. Some National Parks have entrance fees. Those fees are moderate, IMO. The reason they're as small as they are, is that the NPS is an agency of the federal government and is funded through the federal appropriations process. If the 9/11 museum/memorial isn't going to get government funding, they're going to have to have an admission fee of some kind. They can't get by just on fundraising the way the economy is today. It's just not possible.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, good luck to them.

13. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    National parks and battlefields -- True but I don't know of any National Memorial or National Shrine that charges admission of any type.

For example as mentioned Flight 93 National Memorial, any Memorial in DC, Pearl Harbor. They are all free.

It's certainly insensitive that they want to charge 25.00 to go into the museum, 5 bucks ok, donation with suggested amount also ok.

14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This one won't, either. The article linked in the OP specifically states in the second paragraph: Entry to the memorial plaza with its twin reflecting pools will still be free." The $25 admission fee is only for the museum. And some people would consider battlefields to be shrines.

Is it insensitive to ask them to risk operating at a financial loss? From the article: With the cost of operating the memorial and museum projected to be 60 million dollars (£39 million) a year..." Where's the $60 million going to come from if not from admission fees?

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where did they think it would come from when they started plannng and then building the museum?

mht_flyer likes this.
  16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the museum was misplanned? Again, I say if you want, make a recommended donation, but not mandatory 25.00 per person.

The 9/11 museum isn't the Museum of Natural history or the MET and shouldn't be treated with a "admission fee".

Good question, it seems like they had no idea.

17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    And then people won't pay, or if they do pay, won't pay very much. How do they cover costs then?

18. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that just seems so steep. But tourists WILL pay it because its a major part of New York now.

Maybe should be a lower mandatory fee and donations welcomed? Due to the nature of the museum it's surely likely to get donations.

uggboy likes this.
  19. IsabellaMoll

IsabellaMoll New Member

Status Points:
    Tourists WILL pay, but is it fair to win money, because the place is famous with 1000+ people losing their lives....