80k skymiles for business class SEA-FCO January 2014

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MM22, Nov 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MM22

MM22 New Member

Status Points:
    If someone could help me with this trip I would really appreciate it! I have tried searching endlessly on Delta's broken website, called and talked to a rep and got quoted 281k miles for a trip I found for 80k but that only had 1 award seat available. Here is what I'm trying to accomplish:
    2 passengers SEA-FCO round trip with 1 layover in AMS & 1 layover in CDG or vice versa (layover of 7-23 hours preferably during the day) with business class for the flights from SEA to Europe and Europe to Seattle and economy class for the other flights to achieve the 80k. Any days in January 2014 work as I am flexible and looking for a 8-10 day trip. Look forward to any help!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best of luck... Delta is notoriously bad for this, and you will no doubt get confirmation from others regarding FCO flights being priced at outrageous levels (281k is low from what they'll say).

redtailshark and rookie10 like this.
  3. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe anything less than 24 hours will not be considered a layover. I would recommend searching segment by segment. Also, keep in mind if you don't find the perfect trip, a schedule change may allow you to change your flight and time to a better one.

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Min price for this at lowest award level is 100k per current DL chart.

Round trip Biz from US-Europe is 100k at lowest level untill the new award levels kick in during Jun 2014.

Generally using econ for connections once in Europe doesn't reduce biz award price unless the eu connections in biz weren't available at low level but in Econ they were available at low.

But in all cases this award will never be 80k. It is at least 100k and will be going higher in 2014.

5. MM22

MM22 New Member

Status Points:
    Are there any other airports in Italy you think would have lower levels?

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not for 80k in biz with Skymiles.

You will need 100k for biz both ways unfortunately unless you want to fly one direction TATL in economy to hit 80k.

7. MM22

MM22 New Member

Status Points:
    I have actually found several different dates with 80k and called to book but they only had 1 available seat whereas I need two. Based on what ballardFlyer is saying I would also be willing to go to Europe in business class and return in economy.

8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd recommend searching on the Alaska Airlines website for this award.

First click "Use miles" and then enter SEA-FCO. The Alaska mileage prices and fees will be different but if Alaska's site shows any combo of flights on any of Alaska, KLM, Airfrance, or Delta flights then you can also book the route with Delta Skymiles by calling in and feeding the DL agent the dates and flight numbers. No other Alaska partners (AA BA etc) will work as they aren't delta partners too.

Alaska's site also makes it easy to search nearby days too.

You will still need 100k for round trip biz on Delta.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok at 80k the only explanation I can think of is that one of the intl flights segments will be in coach (prob the return) and they just won't show that to you until you get to the end page (which is apparently broken online). Try the Alaska Air site - you will be blown away compared to delta.com garbage.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  10. MM22

MM22 New Member

Status Points:
    Will do. Thanks ballardFlyer

11. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Muahahaah!

You called, MP. :) Since I know you're all waiting for this - and that some of you have even set RSS keys to the digits "635" and characters "FCO" in order to be alerted to new feeding frenzies - I can't let you down!

Put down your hot beverages or you'll choke. Heeeeeeere we go......

To the OP. Never mind the DL SM website. You got lucky. Only 281k! Snap it up! It could easily be 130% worse. Don't believe me?

PHL to FCO. DL SM redemption attempt. 635k for one pax. Not all of which was in J. This began several years ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...d-record-even-dl-sm-best-class-alright-6.html

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/where-has-everyone-gone-and-beavis-he-said-fco-uh-huh-huh.51794/

It is, as always, and as Jeff Robbo himself stated:

[​IMG] MEJOR EN SU CLASE [​IMG]

12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I searched and found RT for 200,000 miles each (400,000 total) but connecting in ATL. All Business/First, departing on 1/15, returning 1/30. Layovers were 2-4 hours.

Newscience likes this.
  13. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    [[applause]]

Flyer1976 and viguera like this.
  14. petrogradian

petrogradian Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you need two seats but they only have one, book them separately to keep your blended cost as low as possible. I have three RTs to Europe in BE in February at 100K for my family, with the 4th seat (mine) at 200K to keep the overall cost down. We're all seated together, should only take an additional minute for check-in each way on the separate reservations. I agree with previous posters that minimum cost is 100K for the RT in BE to Europe.

15. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bottom line for the OP, if they're still around, is that you never ever want to search awards directly on DL unless you have the patience of Job and are willing to go segment-by-segment using the "search economy, find business" workaround one date at a time.

The much better policy is to use partner websites to find DL or partner inventory and then feed the flights you know are available into DL.com one segment at a time.

Also keep in mind that two low awards may just not be available on the same flight. Book one, see if another opens up. Or, if you're PM or DM, book one and another on a different routing so you at least have something and then change when/if something opens up.

Of book one/buy one and consider Skymiles to be more a free companion ticket for a Z fare (if you see Z availability, there's very frequently a low seat available on that flight) than a totally free ticket program.

DiverDave likes this.
  16. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please, let's show some respect to the JeffBot. :cool:

David