80,000 points for Marriott Rewards Premier VISA from Chase (Targeted)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Counsellor, Jan 24, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this card since it came out (and had an earlier version since the early 2000s) but cancelled the card about 4 months ago after some problems with Chase (they kept declining restaurant charges on the card and wouldn't explain).

Recently, I received an invitation to apply again for the card and offering me 80,000 points if I spent $3,000 in the first three months, was not now a cardmember, and had not received a "new cardmember" bonus for this card within the last 24 months. The invitation is specifically made to me by name, is not transferable, and expires in about two months.

I'm considering taking them up on the offer, but I note that it is actually less favorable than the current 70,000 point offer, since my offer does not waive the annual fee of $85 for the first year and does not offer the free night for the first year. However, it appears the current 70,000 points offer also omits the free night the first year. Have they done away with that inducement?

Kalboz and newbluesea like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still one free night Cat 1-5 on anniversary date...worth the $85.00 to me.

Zomby Woof and Kalboz like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's correct it does not appear that any versions of their card are offering the first year cert
    currently. I agree with you also that IMHO the 10k extra points are not worth $85 unless you absolutely need them to make up an award.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Kalboz likes this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checked a DCA Westin $300.00 a night or 12,000 points, guess I will spend the points,

Seems the Hotel points have some value.

Wife used the Marriott at SEA, last year. Well worth the 85 bucks..

Counsellor and newbluesea like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except with the examples you quoted above::)

1) The comparable Marriott to the Westin above would have cost 25k or more Marriott points.
    ( SPG points are easily valued at 2 Marriott points)
    2) The " old" initial year certs were for cats1-4 the only cat 4 in or near Seattle is way out in Renton.
    A cat 4 reward is 20k so at best 10k is worth about $40

6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    She stayed at the Waterfront, do not know how many points were spent,

Should be interesting when they merge.

The conference committee made a deal with Westin this year,, was Hilton last year.

7. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too. Wish they would allow you to use they on higher categories and pay the difference in points.

8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I can agree with that conclusion.

If 10K is worth only $40, you sure couldn't get a $300 room for 25K. And I think the value comparison with Starpoints is probably 2.5 to 3 Marriott Rewards points per Starpoint.

I usually consider a MR point to be worth redeeming (outside of emergencies) only if I can get at least 0.85 cents or more in value. Looking at it that way, the additional 10K MR points would indeed equate to about the same as the waived annual fee for the first year.

Maybe not such a bad deal after all.

newbluesea likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I don't think we disagree by much. I was being conservative when I stated 1 SPG point = 2 Marriott.

As far as the points go all I can say is that the last two Marriotts I stayed at were both Cat 5 which would have required 25k points for an award but the paid rates (which were pretty standard for those two properties) were under $135 which comes out about 0.55 cent/point.

My use of Marriott points are usually for higher end properties like the St Ermin, London which I recently booked for 40k compared with rate of over $450 + taxes.

Counsellor likes this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same with me, but I also redeem for the trip awards where one MR point turns into 1 airline mile, a much higher redemption rate.