8 Tips on How to Drive in Cairo and Other Parts of Egypt

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jun 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    I just had the distinct displeasure of doing something I would have been most likely advised not to do — and that is to rent a car in Cairo. The plan was simple enough: drive from the airport to a hotel property near the site of the pyramids and the Sphinx; drive there the next day; drive to stay at a different hotel property in Cairo itself; drive to Hurghada to enjoy some relaxation by the Red Sea at several resort properties; drive to Luxor to take in some of the treasures there; drive back to Hurghada for more relaxation; drive back to Cairo to stay one more night; and then drive back to the airport to return the rental car. I even mapped my routes in Egypt on Google maps. Easy, right? I have done this countless times in at least 20 countries — greater than half of which I drove on the opposite side of the road than to what I was accustomed, such as in Mozambique — all over the world over the years. Some of those countries in which I had driven had very aggressive drivers with whom I had few problems sharing the road. Forget that — as well as plans A, B, C and D. I had no idea of the experience which awaited me. It all started with... The post 8 Tips on How to Drive in Cairo and Other Parts of Egypt appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...