8 things to know about L.A.'s Koreatown

Discussion in 'California' started by sobore, Apr 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/trave...ed:+rss/cnn_travel+(RSS:+Travel)&utm_content=

[​IMG]

World-renowned chef, author and Emmy winning television personality Anthony Bourdain visits Los Angeles' Koreatown in the next episode of "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown," airing Sunday, April 21, at 9 p.m. ET. Follow the show on Twitter and Facebook.

"Have you been to Koreatown yet?" my friend asked eagerly over the phone. It was my third week as a resident of Los Angeles, and I could no longer claim the pure shock of moving to a city so sprawling, so overwhelming, as the reason I had yet to explore its most interesting neighborhoods.

But I had to answer "no." In a city as vast as Los Angeles, Koreatown seemed especially impenetrable, a huge warren of restaurants, markets, strip malls and residences. As much as I knew that it held a treasure trove of food, culture and nightlife, I was intimidated to even get started.
    Now, almost a year later, Koreatown is one of my favorite things about living in Los Angeles. It's like having an entire other city within a city, a gloriously foreign one at that. There are places in Koreatown where you look around and swear you are in Asia. And yet, it's also 100% Los Angeles: a strange, sprawling melting pot full of hidden delights.

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/trave...ed:+rss/cnn_travel+(RSS:+Travel)&utm_content=

freebird, uggboy and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. I am here now!

I am here now! Active Member

Status Points:
    Interesting article, but much less when you hit the comments part...

3. jgreen

jgreen New Member

Status Points:
    I visited LA recently and stayed with a friend who lived on the edge of Korea town.. definitely didn't wander around too much (LA scares me!) but I did experience my first ever Korean BBQ qhich was excellent, and so cheap!

sobore likes this.
  4. Tom Green

Tom Green Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading to LA next month, so thanks for sharing. To "I am here now!", I couldn't see the comments. I guess they deleted them or I need to be logged in??? What was the gist?