8 indispensable travel apps for your smartphone

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Apr 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance...able-travel-apps-for-your-smartphone/670901/1

A phone these days does a lot more than make calls and send texts; it’s a small but powerful computer in your purse or pocket.
    The GPS feature is what makes the difference; it knows where you are, so it can then tell you what is around you. Sometimes that is obvious, of course, so you should just look around with your eyeballs, but when that doesn’t tell you what you need to know, phone app technology can really help when you travel.
    Everyone’s preferences are different, of course, but here are the apps that I turn to again and again on my own HTC Android phone….

Read More:http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance...able-travel-apps-for-your-smartphone/670901/1

Aktchi and jwsky like this.
  2. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm still searching for some apps to run on my phone...
    [​IMG]

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two photo apps of sorts and no TripIt or other apps to organize trips?

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  4. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are so right. Where is the World mate, gate guru, Skype and any of the airlines apps that people use???

FlyingBear likes this.
  5. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travel apps? Me said NO :D

6. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    None of them for a serious traveler.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have two of those on my Samsung tablet: Yelp and Google maps. Yelp didn't help much in Hong Kong this last week as they don't cover it, but I have made use of it before when traveling in the U.S. and Europe for restaurant reviews.

Google maps comes in really handy for when I'm wandering around on foot and have no idea where I am (and don't have any phone service--it will save the most recently viewed map from when I last had a wi-fi connection). When I was in Prague in November it saved me a couple times and it also came in handy for cities in Germany.

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears that the person travels only domestically, probably without layovers and stays only with friends.

Foursquare is more useful for international travel, from my experience in Europe. International traveler would probably want to know about a good GPS app that does not require data either. Thinking about this more, it's a downright horrible list for "Top 8 apps" done by a hipster-wanna-be that likes the idea of travel, but doesn't actually get to do so.

Laptop Nomad likes this.