787 Bus class vs E+

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Jan 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have already booked E+ bulkhead, aisle seat, but some Bus Class seats have opened up NRT LAX for copay + cash. $600 + miles. For those that have flown the 787 in E+ is it worth the UG or is E+ ok for just over 9hrs?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I'd ever pay the cash+miles for an upgrade.

Don't get me wrong: BusinessFirst is really nice. But not worth the expense that way IMO.

edcho, Flyer1976 and sfo1 like this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply, have flown Bus 1st on GPU's many times, and I really hate to spend the money, it's not the food, it's about the sleep, but by the time the meal is served and everything starts to quiet down, there is only about 7 hrs left and $600.00 is really hard to justify.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious:
    - how many miles have to be committed along with the copay for the upgrade?
    - is this an upgrade for r/t or just one way?
    A year ago, I paid ~$700 with OS/LH for a ~6,000 (each way) rt upgrade to bc (from full fare coach), but with no miles requirement. I was very pleased that I was able to do this!
    Thanks!

sfo1 likes this.
  5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always take the chance to UG on any overwater flight except perhaps Sydney to Auckland.
    My travel circumstances are typically a bit different than the norm.

For example, I flew twelve times CLE-NRT-CLE last year where I was on the ground in Tokyo for less than 24 hours.
    Similarly for Brazil, Europe, HKG to name a few. Even a few 36 hour turnarounds in SYD.

Under those circumstances, I have no issue with the copay/miles spend to get a chance to sleep comfortably. I'm also 6ft1 and 200 lbs so even E+ gets torturous after a while.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

sfo1 and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! At 6'5", I can't pay up or use those miles quickly enough to score an upgrade! :D

7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it was 20 or 30K and it's just for the return. The LAX to NRT should not be too bad as we arrive around 1600+1 which will be 2300 west coast time.

Newscience likes this.
  8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am only 5'8" at 160lb so the E+ seat probably will be ok for the 9hr. I specifically went for the 787 over E+ on the SFO 747, would never go economy or economy + on that aircraft.

9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    BLUF, if this is for r/t, I would do it and smile! :) For one-way, well, that's robbery w/o using a gun... :eek:

sfo1 likes this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the guy giving that advice fits into an overhead bin. Personally, if I tried to crawl into an overhead bin, I would almost certainly break it. If I didn't break my neck first, that is. :D

I would pay $600 + 30K in a NY minute for that upgrade. It's certainly not a case of my having too much money, either. I've heard that the E/E+ seats on the 787 are more narrow, and that's the deciding factor for me. Having back and leg pain issues, I would practically need morphine upon arrival after flying that long in back. In fact, if I couldn't be guaranteed a seat up front, I just don't think I would go.

Edit: You were posting your size and weight as I was writing this. If I were as light as you, I would certainly see things differently. I'm 5' 11", so I can handle the leg room alright, but my 205 pounds on a narrow seat without enough cushion would affect me in a completely different way.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the 787 have essentially the same BF seats as the 764?

Having just spent most of the flight from IAD to MUC trying to get comfortable and find space for my feet while sleeping, no I would not pay for it. If it was UD on a 747 on a longer flight, I might (I paid $600 from HKG to SFO two years ago, day of travel so no miles required...).

Bulkhead on the 787 is pretty good pitch-wise. Width... Not great.

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is very much a YMMV question.

Personally, I would pay the co-pay. But that's because I can sleep fairly well in a J seat and not at all in a Y seat.

So I figure I lose at least a full day recovering after an international Y flight (and maybe two) and a day of my life is worth more than $600 to me.

Other folks have different standards and can either sleep well enough in Y not to suffer upon arrival or just are willing to sleep away a day to catch up.

So think about how well you sleep sitting mostly upright and how willing you are to be a zombie for a day or two. If you sleep relatively well in chairs and/or are willing to lose a day or two to recover, then save the miles and money.

You're unlikely to die spending nine hours in a Y seat. So it's really about comfort and recovery.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.
    Agreed.

And, FWIW, I'm ~5'11"/190# and I fit in Y. That's not to say I love it but I fit and I can sleep there. I have done it scores of times in the past few years (I can count 10 long-haul redeyes last year alone and a few more domestic transcon redeyes done in Y). I'm doing it again on Wednesday night. Generally speaking, given the option between spending that much on an upgrade or another trip (which is about what the cost comes to for me) I take the additional trip.

sfo1 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The money is no object and either are the miles required, I have 1million + miles, but I guess what it comes down to is the $600.00 which could be used towards another trip using a W fare. Guess I will just stay in E+, as far as sitting I tend to get up and wander around for about 15 minutes out of each hour, seems to make the sitting easier to take.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah-HA! So money IS an object. ;)

I'm not poor, but I'm no millionaire. I have several friends who are multi-millionaires, and every one of them thinks of $6 or $600 or $6000 more than they do their own comfort. I'm frugal, but balanced, and I often think I enjoy myself more than those with far more financial security. In this case I would be trying to avoid certain pain, but I'll admit that I become more contemplative of every purchase with each birthday I... Ahem... "Celebrate."

Newscience and sfo1 like this.
  16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can do that it is even better for your health:D - good procedure for preventlng dvt's!

Newscience and sfo1 like this.
  17. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I took the plunge, time to get out the "cookie jar":D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    KenInEscazu likes this.
  18. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got off a UA787 in biz (domestic flight seg) and it's good. The narrow footwell config is a demerit but that's the same as the other sCO BF configs. I confess, I haven't flown the UA788 in E- or E+ yet (I am sure the moment will come) so I can't speak to its relative Y cabin comfort.

I was able to sleep tolerably in E+ on the hated anteater a couple of nights back but that might have had something to do with the twelve sectors/four days/beginning of year MR via STT that I was completing.

I agree with Seth in that cultivating the ability to sleep at least tolerably in certain Y cabin seats is a useful skill that bears fruit in preserving miles/$ and thereby extending travel oppos. OTOH I'm not an ideologue about this. There have been certain trips when I simply can't face the prospect of especially an uncomfortable Y seat and will pony up co-pays/miles for UG.

That's on all airlines with the exceptions of DL and BA, on whom I will never pay a dime extra. This is my response to Jeff's maneuverings and the lack of value of his product for me, and to BA's Dilbertian and customer-hostile management regime. Gotta love it when BA's official response to a CTA complaint includes the quote "we consider the CTA ruling [note: not just the original fare] to be in error..." Muahahaha! No cookie jars or co-pays for them.....

19. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get those 787 flights as soon as you can:) (they might be grounded again) . Reports this AM of smoke coming from a JAL 787 battery.

20. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. I have another 788 seg this w/e (IAH-LAX).

21. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    Flying CLE to Syd with the family in two weeks

Took two upgrades and giving one to my wife and the other to my 5 year old daughter, leaving my 6yo soon and I to E+ seating for the SFO to syd leg.

Having already invested over $12k in airfares, I couldn't justify the spend/miles for the four of us in both directions....did that last year when we based ourselves in SIN for five weeks.

First stop after arrival in sydney..pie shop then surf to iron out the kinks

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  22. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You Surf? :eek:

Have an excellent trip! :D

23. HubletUAFlyer

Status Points:
    Everyday since I was 5 until 15 years ago when I moved stateside

Flyer1976 likes this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah oh... I hope was influential in your spending the rent money on a big, fat, leather, lay-flat, comfortable seat. :D

Seriously, I'm glad you did it. Pamper yourself. From what I know of you from your posts, you deserve it. Plus, I'll feel less guilty the next time I forget to be frugal myself. ;)

One thing I'm not clear on. Was the fare RT or OW?

25. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you were, I always read your posts and enjoy them and the information you impart. This was a RT fare booked in K class. The interesting thing about it was that it was $300.00 cheaper from YVR than from SEA. The UG was not available on the outbound just the return. I would not have booked the UG on the outbound, as the plane arrives in NRT, our time which is 2300 on the west coast, I think I can stay awake until the. The return however departs in the evening and if I can sleep for 6/7 hours it will be much better for me, I will be waking up around my normal west coast time. I am a very early riser usually around 5am, but then I go to sleep around 8/830pm. This should work well for me. I did this UG strictly for the bed, certainly not for the food, I would never pay $600 for a meal, and would never think of paying this price for a hotel room, unless it came with some extras:D

KenInEscazu likes this.