787-9 (and -8) Dreamliner Domestic Flights on UA's Schedule

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Aug 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked up on a thread on TOBB that there is going to be a flurry of 787 domestic activity coming soon, and I managed to book myself on flight 1558 on September 20th IAH-EWR. I was hoping for an opportunity to fly on one of these before I move to the dAArkside, and sure enough it happened! I sort of made it happen, but it works for me.

Other scheduled flights reported:

10/10/14 - UA 1086 IAH-LAX - 787-9
    10/19/14 - UA 1086 IAH-LAX - 787-9
    09/20/14 - UA 1421 LAX-IAH - 787-9
    09/20/14 - UA 1086 IAH-LAX - 787-9
    11/30/14 - UA UNK LAX-DEN - 787-9
    12/01/14 - UA UNK LAX UNK - 787-9

There may be more, but these are successful bookings reported in addition to my IAH-EWR flight.

I wonder - What are the odds of my RPU clearing on this flight? Anyone care to speculate? It's mid-day on a Saturday, and F is already half full. ::checking the change in my pocket:: ;)

Flyer1976, 8MiHi, cchagadorn and 4 others like this.
  2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the following now reported, it's looking like the 787-9 is going to be on the schedule for a while between IAH and LAX. I haven't done the research to see how often they will be flying it between LAX and DEN, but those seem to be the cities chosen for domestic proving of the aircraft before putting it on the international schedule.

10/09/14 - UA 1086 IAH-LAX - 787-9

Sammich likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 787-8 is 3x weekly on IAH-EWR return for a few months, too.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29...-ndash-denver-limited-service-in-novdec-2014/
    Code:
    UA1163 LAX0900 – 1224DEN 789 30NOV14
    UA1285 LAX0900 – 1224DEN 789 01DEC14

UA1077 DEN1340 – 1508LAX 789 30NOV14/01DEC14

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29...les-ndash-houston-service-from-late-sep-2014/
    20SEP14 to 25OCT14
    Code:
    UA1125 LAX0730 – 1249IAH 789 x6
    UA1421 LAX0730 – 1249IAH 789 6

UA1086 IAH1440 – 1608LAX 789 D
    http://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ouston-ndash-newark-operation-in-sepoct-2014/
    UNITED from 20SEP14 to 25OCT14 plans to operate Boeing 787-8 aircraft on Houston – Newark route, operating 3 weekly flights. General operational schedule as follow.

Code:
    UA1558 IAH1055 – 1517EWR 788 156

UA1426 EWR1640 – 1916IAH 788 1
    UA1064 EWR1640 – 1916IAH 788 6*
    UA1232 EWR1640 – 1916IAH 788 5
    * Operational flight number varies on certain dates in October 2014

Flyer1976, Sammich, ssullivan and 3 others like this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I chickened out on hoping for the RPU to clear from an "N" fare, and I bought the upgrade on that leg for $359. That will also push me over the miles I needed to make 1K for 2015, as I was just 500 miles short, so I'll be free to either finish the year flying on awards or take AA up on their status match earlier than anticipated.

Now I just need to decide which window seat I want. 1L, 4L, 5L or 6L. I'm thinking that 1L is too close to the front to take in the experience, and 4L may have an overhead space issue due to being an exit row. If anyone here has any experience flying up front on this aircraft and can make a suggestion, that would be much appreciated.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a bulkhead row. Nor sure how being in 1 will reduce the experience somehow. That part of the plane takes off and lands at the same time as the rest of it.

Trackside, KenInEscazu and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, any of the bulkhead seats are good. I did 4D on LAX-PVG and it was a nice flight.

KenInEscazu, Flyer1976 and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish I had saw this post earlier...just booked my flight to IAH via SFO...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's always the 24h cancel feature. ;)

Sammich and FortFun like this.
  9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just passed the 24 hour mark :(

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call back and see if they'll let you have an one time courtesy. ;)

KenInEscazu and Sammich like this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alright. You folks talked me into 1L. The last remaining bulkhead seat available.

I like sitting farther back on unique flight experiences so that I can take in the whole visual experience of the cabin, but I would trade that for a better seat any day. I'll still get to play with the electronic window shades, and there is probably a higher likelihood of getting my first meal choice up there. I'll probably doze off after lunch anyway. :D

12. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also operating IAH-SFO. I've flown the 788 quite a few times domestically now. It's a nice ride. Never flown it in Y, yet, but I am sure the time will come :eek:

Tomorrow I run the gamut from UA's very best hardware - J cabin, 788 - directly to its all-time worst - every seat in the CR2.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that everyone hates the CR200, but I actually prefer it to the E135/145s. Why? The exit row may not be marked as E+, but it is. Because it isn't marked as anything special, I find that it's always available. Well... It was. That will probably change now that I have spilled the beans here! :D

I also always take my Tempur-Pedic seat cushion with me, so I actually relax well enough that I usually fall asleep. Hard to hate a plane in my sleep. But don't get me wrong.... I still think they need to dump them asap. Just dump the E135/145s first.

14. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? :confused:

This tall guy has sat in the exit row on many CRJ-200s. That row has maybe an inch of extra knee room. It certainly isn't E+, and the window seats in that row are two of the most cramped seats you'll find on any aircraft.

The ERJ exit row has a ton of space, and the bulkhead seats have more space than any CRJ-200 seat.

15. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was miserable in the CRJ-200 bulkhead seat the other week. I had to turn a bit side ways first to get into the window seat because of the location of the fuselage spur.

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Window seats on those planes are the worst, and the exit row window takes it to a whole new level of hell.

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 5' 11", and I never choose the window seat, so I can't say anything about that. I will say that my seat cushion lifts me up enough to add another inch or two of legroom, and I like that I don't have to crawl to my seat. My back hurts enough when I travel without being put into positions unnatural for the human body. ;)

The lavs in all of them stink. Literally and in their miserable design. If I were to be continuing to fly UA after the end of the year, I would still be pleased about the E175s coming in. Even if those miserable seats would require carrying that darned seat cushion on board at the same time UA is trying to reduce the things we carry on board.

I flew on Copa's E190s twice last week in both E and J. They have slimlines, but they are quite comfortable. Avianca's inherited Taca E190s have slimlines that are even more comfortable, plus they have AVOD. Not to mention that both of these airlines also serve hot meals in both cabins. Free, of course.

18. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    E+ only gets applied to seats with a certain minimum amount of extra pitch. The CRJ exit row doesn't have that. What it does have is a shorter seat cushion, and while that may fit your body comfortably, for most people it doesn't. And, the reason those seats are often available are because those in the know know that the window seats are torture devices in that row, and the aisle gives them nothing more. I'm glad someone finds those seats preferable. In the 15 years since my first flight on the type, you're the first person I've ever seen say that.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't y'all forget that part of my OP on this OT thread trend. I don't like the CR200s one bit. Personally, even though I do have average length legs for my height, I prefer sitting in that seat to crawling back to row 18 on an E135/145. Surely you folks don't think the window seats on those aircraft would qualify as "comfortable," do you?

I got stuck in 18A a couple of months ago going from IAH-CHS, and those were 2 1/2 of the most miserable hours of the year for me. I do have some Fibro Myalgia-like aches and pains, so I may be more affected than most, but I arrived in "Chahllston" feeling pretty miserable. Gratefully, I was able to sleep in a comfortable bed before taking off the next morning to do business in rural SC. Afterwards I had to fly another E145 to EWR, then catch a shuttle to JFK to catch my Copa flight home.

I'm just glad to have the 787 flight on the horizon this year, and that I am going to be free to choose whether I fly UA's miserable RJs going forward. With one trip planned to FSD this year, however, I don't think that there is a way to avoid one more RJ flight on whatever airline this year. I'm not holding out hope that UA will opt to put the 787 on ORD-FSD in an attempt to lure all that oil money to fly them any time soon (or EVER!). ;)

20. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Quite a variety of 787 domestic flights. Very cool.

Ken - an erj beats a crj (145 vs a 200) any day of the week. The 145 in the exit row feels like it has the same amount of legroom as domestic F seats. No joke. I'm sure someone will come along and post the specifics, but my point is valid. It's the best place to be on an rj. Although I still think they should all be for flights of an hour or less. Economics seems to dictate that they'll be around for far too long unfortunately.

21. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Was posting when you posted this. Did the Iah-CHS flight recently and it was long. Was semi comfortable in the exit row minus my rear end.

Let me know if you head back to CHS again! The airport is 15 minutes from my house.

22. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually find row 18 on the ERJ quite comfortable, even in the window seats. I've flown segments as long as MSP-IAH in 18A (was labeled as 12A back then) many times and never had any issue. I can stretch my legs as far as I want, and never have the person in front of me recline into my space. It's better seat pitch than domestic F on any mainline aircraft. Sure, I have to crouch down to walk back there, but I have to do that on every CRJ version.

I don't particularly seek out or enjoy long ERJ flights, but I can do them when I need to and be perfectly comfortable. Even the shortest segments on the CRJ I avoid unless there's no other choice, and then I spend the flight wishing it would hurry up and end.

23. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must say that I was quite impressed with your city. That was my first visit, and the southern hospitality combined with the low traffic, wide roads and overall cleanliness really impressed me. I did my last minute grocery shopping there before heading home to Costa Rica, and I wish there were Harris-Teeters everywhere. They had everything I needed, less the mesquite smoked brisket we Texans must have. ;)

This thread is certainly proving that I have unique preferences of RJs, as I'm clearly outnumbered. Glad we can agree that IAH-CHS is too long on any of them. How long has it been since you had mainline service there?

24. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Should be an E70 at a minimum.

And, if I was running the airline, ERJs would only be on flights to small markets 500-600 miles or less away from the hub.

And, feel free to stick with those CRJ flights. You're one less person to fight over 18A on the ERJ with. ;)

Steve GadFly likes this.
  25. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ken, I think I may be well suited to respond to this since I've taken nearly 450 flights on ERJ145s (including a lot of the longer routes like EWR-STL & EWR-OKC). 18A on that plane beats any seat on any CRJ200 on a flight of any length hands down. Not only that but I would even put it ahead of any Y seat on a slimline equipped Airbus.

redtailshark and ssullivan like this.