777 upkeep

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ORDBound, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ORDBound

ORDBound Active Member

Status Points:
    I am flying ORD to MUC in April. The flight is the old-configuration 777. It's been awhile since I was in a 777 flying internationally.

This past year, I have flown domestically on the old configured 767 and 747 to SFO. The upkeep of the interior was non-existent. The exit sign on one flight was held up by duct-tape.

Are the old configuration 777 used for international flights kept in better shape?

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My last old config int'l 777 flight was towards the end of last year. I didn't see anyone having issues with seats or anything like that, but it was definitely in a very tired state. I'm assuming that they'll see less attention than the new-config ones. Maybe it'll be subbed for a new config on your date :) Good luck!

3. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    The int'l 777s definitely look tired, especially in F where duct tape is not an uncommon sight.
    If it makes you feel any better, they still look better than the last old-config 767s used to. Those were pretty terrible--at some point UA completely stopped maintenance, and disconnected all electrical parts on the C seats (i.e. the massage feature.) It was a pretty sad state of affairs.

4. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Domestic 767 are pretty tired too - raggedy fabrics, dirty surfaces. Maybe they need some more deep cleans?

5. As with all things United, if you keep your expectations low enough, you will have a better chance of having a pleasant experience.

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    2/2 on broken seats in business on international 777's that haven't been converted yet.
    Fly a lot of domestic 777's and 767's on Hawaii routes. Planes appear to be in good shape.

7. iluv2fly
    Original Member

iluv2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    No.
    Flew in F from SIN-NRT and then ORD-AMS-ORD recently. Bad seats on every flight. One I would argue was a safety issue. Was able to swich on the ORD-AMS leg, but the others were full and was stuck in the broken seats. Complained and received an appreciation card from the purser for the other two.
    It appears that they are not going to do anything to these seats until they are replaced with the new ones.

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been the same as others'. They're just not maintaining the cabins and seem content to let them decay until the rip them out...