772 Int'l F - Are my expectations too high?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Sep 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posted on TOBB, too, but y'all are nicer here...

I've flown paid first out of EZE three times in the last month, EZE-JFK-EZE, and then J EZE-MIA and F JFK-EZE (last night). There are a few things I've noticed and I'd like to get your opinions on so that I can reset my expectations, if necessary, as I have four more F flights in Oct and Nov. I don't mean this to be a rant at all, but rather a description of my experiences and honest responses about whether my expectations are too high or not.

1. Service is personalized as far as name use goes, but that's about it. I've found the FAs in J to me more outgoing and "fun." Granted, F is supposedly more serious and formal, so maybe if I want fun I should stick to J. But even so, there's very little polite conversation, with or without any fun to it.

2. When I have put my PJs on on the F flights, the FA has never offered to hang my clothes. When I put the PJs on flying J (yeah, pretentious, but they do serve a good purpose), the FA immediately offered to hang my jeans and tee-shirt! When I expressed surprise, she said that they're supposed to do the same in F. So why haven't they? I even left my clothes folded on the table by the window last night - I was actually folding them when the Purser walked by - but no offer to hang.

3. Distributing the dessert menu, but then bringing only the fruit and cheese plate without it being requested. I even mentioned that I was looking forward to a sundae, but they were not available. So why distribute the menu?

4. On only one out of three flights have I had the turndown service offered. Of course, I could have asked for it the other two times, but it's really not rocket science so I just did it myself. But should an F pax really need to be proactively requesting something that is marketed as a part of the service, especially when FAs walk by while you're pulling the mattress topper and duvet out of the overhead?

Just a few things that have jumped out at me. I don't know if my perceptions would be different if these had been upgrades rather than paid F fares, but I don't think so, as regardless of how you get into the cabin the service should be the same. (Sidenote: Oh, and the freaking number of kids!!! What's up with that?!?)

Thanks for your thoughts.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you have dealt with some crews that aren't so good. I always ask them to hang my clothes and your right, most of the time they are not proactive in asking. I've never gone to EZE but usually do J or F on 136/7 lax-lhr, and the crews are pretty good and proactive.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am taking 136 with the family in J next June, how is it gettign thru customs with that 2:15 landing time in LHR?
    we are lloking forwad to the new 77W seats in the "mini cabin"

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:

I've not yet had the pleasure (?) of a non-stop EZE/JFK flight in either direction -- in the past it's always been with a change of metal in MIA. But in December I'm doing the non-stop JFK/EZE and then EZE/MIA, both 772 in seats 3D and 3G. I don't much care about the PJ issue, but I'm hoping (praying?) there are no rich kids in the cabin in either direction.

Moving right along, what's that ice flow in the background of your photo? It's not Perito Moreno, verdad?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find it quicker as of recent to go through the regular line, rather than the fast track one. There are just too few agents in the fastrack line and the other side has many agents. As you walk up, have a look, if you see the line almost to the points where you are handing over your FT slips, go to the regular line, unless of course, thats more than 3-4 loops. At this time, I think you will be ok in the regular line.

Enjoy 136, the crew is always nice. I have not done the mini cabin yet, but do like the toilet on the right side of the plane, as its a bit bigger.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:

It's from a landing I made in Antarctica; I'm not quite sure which one, but I'm tempted to say Neko Harbor.

Mikus33 likes this.
  7. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks -- and that explains why I couldn't place it. In all my trips to PUQ or USH, I've never made it across the Drake to Antarctica. Next year, for sure ;).

zpaul and Mikus33 like this.
  8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think your expectations are too high. I'm looking for options once the LAN SFO/LIM is suspended, and AA (SFO/JFK/EZE) is one of my very few options where I'd have a lie flat or close to it on the entire routing. This does not sound promising. F shouldn't be more serious and formal. F should be where the FA takes note of the passenger and determines that (s)he wants a serious and formal flight, or a fun flight.

Many of my "trips of a lifetime" were in UA F of long ago and were loads of fun. Last year, the CX F crew was just delightful, chatty, and more personable than one would have expected, but we invited it, and it made it a lot more fun.

Even LAN J, which is variable in the service department, offers you a frazada y almohada at the first sign of "I want to rest."

zpaul likes this.
  9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that on AA, the crew varies a lot. Some are more outgoing and fun, some more subdued and serious, some super nice, and some lazy. That said, there does tend to be differences in route, maybe because certain personality types are attracted to certain routes, or maybe peer pressure.

Also, the 777-300 requires special training, so for now only crew that went out if their way to fly it are on it, which may explain differences there.

Things like offering to hang your clothes or make up your bed really vary crew to crew. There should always be ice cream sundaes, and if not, a note to AA is called for.

zpaul likes this.
  10. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not you - it's AA.

After my AA F experience in June (ORD-LHR), I decided to only redeem miles for J from now on. Crew was rude, slow, did not offer any of the special service AA spent all the dollars marketing on. When I asked for the bed to be made up (and keep in mind I only asked when the FAs seemed to be not busy - i.e., chatting among themselves), the FA's face soured and practically huffed and puffed as she was doing it. Another pax saw this and made up his own bed instead. Another FA half-jokingly reprimanded my mother for not finishing her dessert faster so that she could make up her bed. I really had no expectations beyond the minimal courtesy, and I felt it was all too unprofessional. Perhaps I had a bad crew just one time - but it certainly didn't entice me to try F again. I will save my miles for CX instead.

My J flight (DUS-ORD) was many times better.

zpaul likes this.
  11. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    We fly F awards usually twice a year NRT-DFW-NRT.Have never had a bad crew.Always have a good chat with the FAs.On our last 2 sectors(August,September) I have been left the bottle of red to finish at my leisure after the meal service.Always been asked when I wanted bed made up.So in our eyes the DFW crews are tops.

zpaul likes this.
  12. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's AA!!! I once had a FA that refused serving the entire multi course meal on JFK-LHR because he thought flighttime was to short. Another FA was barking and me when I asked for new BOSE Headphones. I saw that FA on a LAX-HNL a week later and she treated her co-workers the same way as the passenger's,but I also had FA's that provided outstanding service.

Complain to AA that's the only way they can get some consistency in their offerings and I know they have been working very hard to accomplish that. Since having let's call them bad apples is not real good in keeping the Premium Customers happy and flying AA.

My motto is: When flying F on AA keep you're expectation to a minimum and you will be pleasantly surprised.

p.s I find the JFK based crews down to EZE some of the best. There is one purser that's the only route he flies and one of the best crewmember's I encountered on AA.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    zpaul likes this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't want to start a new thread, so I'm going to resurrect this one...does anyone know if PJs are offered in F on daytime flights? I'm hoping so, but if not I want to plan accordingly, because an 11-hour flight is a long time regardless of the sun's position in the sky...

14. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA gives extra PJ's out so we have spare, I am sure they have extra ones if requested.

zpaul likes this.
  15. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, the PJs were distributed on the 11am flight.

16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite honestly, that could be said about any airline for any route.

flyforawg likes this.