75th anniversary celebration?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tomh009, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming all SEs received invitations to this event (on 02 March) -- who is planning to go?

2. I did receive the invite and am going

3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it good be fun, maybe some retro souvenirs! Please post photos! :)

4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received invitation but will be on a beach somewhere else that day.

5. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No invite yet!:(

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received mine and RSVPed in the affirmative.

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    The invite is in the SE Newsletter - not a separate email.

2MM_Guy and tomh009 like this.
  8. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doh!

Confirmed attendance. TGIF.
    Thanks, mate.

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will have to take an extended lunch hour that day! ;)

10. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    photos!!! photos photos photos!!!

YULtide likes this.
  11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received and done. Though not sure if we will receive confirmations of our RSVPs.

12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to worry, there shall be photos! :D

SVJ and YULtide like this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So ... guinnessxyz, ACMM and Canadi>n. Anyone else coming?

We need some kind of ID mechanism ... I don't have any MP pins or anything, though. Any ideas?

14. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish I had seen this last night.

Saw a bunch of MP/FTers: Canadi>n, Terry, Fin645 and others listed TOBB for the breakfast event.

And the plane was great!

YULtide likes this.
  15. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Toronto travellers were introduced to a revolutionary new plane Friday that Air Canada promises is the "aircraft of the future."

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner arrived at Pearson International Airport on Thursday, and media had the opportunity to board the plane which will comprise a large portion of Air Canada's fleet starting in 2014.

The event took place on Air Canada's 75th anniversary, and the new plane shared a hangar with a Lougheed L10a -- the propeller-driven plane that helped launch the airline in 1937.

Craig Landry, Air Canada's vice-president of marketing, said the juxtaposition was intentional.

"It's not by accident that on one side of the hangar we have the original L10a aircraft that we flew in 1937, when we first started flying, and on the other side of the hangar we have the 787, which is really the aircraft of our future," Landry said.

He said the Dreamliner is the first plane to incorporate a fuselage and wings made largely from composite material, as opposed to metal. As a result the plane is much lighter, and allows the crew to maintain lower pressurization and higher levels of humidity within the cabin.

"And what that does is it creates a lot more passenger comfort, reduces jetlag, reduces things like dehydration and gets you to the other end of your journey a lot more refreshed than what we have on contemporary aircraft today," Landry said.

Air Canada has ordered 37 of the new planes, with an option to order an additional 13. They are scheduled to enter into regular use in 2014.

Key details about the Boeing 787 Dreamliner:
    • Composite materials make up 50 per cent of the structure of the 787, including the fuselage and wings.
    • The plane used 20 per cent less fuel than other similar-size aircraft.
    • The 787 travels at a comparable speed to the fastest wide-body planes in the skies, Mach 0.85, while also providing more cargo space.
    • The plane incorporates a new one-piece fuselage section that eliminates the need for 1,500 aluminum sheets and 40,000 to 50,000 fasteners.
    • The 787-8 Dreamliner will carry 210-250 passengers on routes of 14,200 to 15,200 kilometres.
    • The 787-9 Dreamliner will 250-290 passengers on routed of 14,800 to 15,750 kilometres.
    • The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is manufactured in Everett, Wash., near Seattle.
    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20120302/boeing-dreamliner-aircraft-787-120202/

canucklehead likes this.
  16. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just back and it was well worth the day out at YYZ. Though some machinists members were picketing the event (not happy with Calin's bonus) inside there were hundreds of AC staffers welcoming us and showing off their division's products and activities. Or just giving out birthday cake, foods and drinks of all sorts. Of course, the highlight was the 787 walkabout and it will indeed be a plane worth flying. As it turns out this was test plane #3, the same one those of us on the SMD2 were able to walk through at Everett in September 2010. But just as enjoyable was taking a metaphorical walk down memory lane (a longer walk for some) watching as AC staffers donned uniforms of their counterparts since 1937. Also enjoyed was being able to explore AC's oldest plane, the Lockheed Electra10, which I flew out of YXD some time in the late 90s. LHR's legendary concierge Kelvin was there and we recalled his experience on the BBC's AIRPORT, and the spoof on him in the satirical version of that series which appears on AC's IFE. Lots of familiar faces among the SEs and calls for another Do soon. And good chats with Craig and Ian.

SensFan and canucklehead like this.
  17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was indeed an interesting event ...

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reports!

YULtide likes this.
  19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was quite good -- and a bigger turnout than I expected. I actually enjoyed the Electra even more than the 787 as the latter is pretty much all mock-up inside, with sample non-functional seats kind of tossed in the middle. The Electra is still waiting for the XM conversion though! Food and drink was basic Y fare (cafe on board and chips/snacks) plus the cake, which I did not partake.

The only bummer for me was that somehow I missed the parking coupons (nobody seemed to know where they were) so had to pay $21 for the privilege (plus gas to drive to YYZ, of course). Sigh.

Will post photos soon.

SensFan, canucklehead and 2MM_Guy like this.
  20. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Souvenirs not that exciting: a somewhat nice AC pen/pencil set, some Boeing paraphernalia (poster, sticker, lanyard) and some other AC bits were available.

canucklehead likes this.
  21. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I parked in front of the hanger, avoiding eye contact with the picketers. As RecoveringSE said "It was like getting through Nexus".

canucklehead and tomh009 like this.
  22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you not get the Boeing 787 Pin? :eek:

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, there was a pin, too. I'm not big on pins, though, so I forgot about it. :D

canucklehead likes this.
  24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Parking vouchers were available for those using T3 at the registration desks, but apparently these arrived later in the morning. We arrived even before most of the check-in tables were staffed so just went ahead and did the 787 walkabout...which was good since the crowds were overwhelming later in the morning. I went back to the registration desk around noon to get my tag (and make sure they knew I did no no-show!) and at that time I was offered a parking voucher. Our tab was $28. GTAA gave us envelopes full of promotion on their parking lots! (Just finishing off a Lindt chocolate from the JETZ booth...yum, yum.)

SensFan, 2MM_Guy and canucklehead like this.
  25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not change your day job - you would make a lousy reporter! :rolleyes:

YULtide, 2MM_Guy and canucklehead like this.