75K Perks

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by giggs, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that I'm a 75K on Alaska/Horizon, I'm wondering how successful people are at getting upgraded. So far this year I am 1 for 6 in my upgrades, which is a little surprising to me.

Just wondering what one might expect? I usually fly up and down the coast (SEA - SNA, SEA - LAX, SEA - SAN)

2. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    how far ahead of time are you buying tickets?

3. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually at least 3 weeks. I seem to end up being #1 on the list but end up being just the first loser...lol

4. Denali Flyer
    Original Member

Denali Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had very good luck with upgrades - about 75% of the time.

One thing I discovered though that may have affected some of your flights... Some of the tickets I had for travel in late 2010 and early 2011 were purchased earlier in 2010 when I was still MVP Gold. The fare type I purchased was not one that would automatically upgrade me so I was placed on the upgrade list. However, because I was MVP Gold when I purchased the tickets, I was only being upgraded off the list (or not) 3 days out, not 5 days per 75K standards.

The way to correct this for any similarly affected reservations is to call Alaska reservations and have them re-list you. Upon relisting the upgrade list will then recognize your current 75K status and swing into action 5 days out.

5. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    That strikes me as a horrible percentage! When are you traveling?

gemac likes this.
  6. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If he is flying SEA-LAX then something is going terribly wrong haha

Edit: removed my stupidity

7. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP said they were traveling SEA to SoCal. I agree that transcons are tough - no matter the airline.

oklAAhoma likes this.
  8. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whoops my bad. Was late at night...but seriously, something is wrong then. I haven't sat in coach to California on AS since 2008.

9. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 75K, my upgrade % is 100% :D

You are probably the only 75K in the entire AS MP program that has this percentage for SEA-Socal :eek: Why don't you try taking advantage of your SDC benefits to switch to a flight that has upgrade space available?

10. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update: I have a SEA-SNA and SNA-SEA, and I am upgraded so now I am 3 for 8.

Data point, the flights this year I didn't get upgraded on SEA-EWR, EWR-SEA, SEA-LAS, SEA-SNA and SNA-SEA.

Looks like things are shaping up for the moment.

11. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D SEA-EWR is tough as it is... SEA-LAS, was it for CES or a major conference? SEA-SNA is one of the more difficult socal route to upgrade on, but not too difficult...

12. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hoping that my upgrade success rate continues to climb.

13. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    SEA-LAS is a very difficult upgrade on weekends. I'm only MVPG though. They seem to actually sell the F seats.

QL

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    SEA-LAS is pretty easy, though, on a Friday night (I would guess my lifetime upgrade percentage there is something over 75% as a Gold, over a number of years flying that route on the cheapest fares possible). You will see the nice little "U" on that one (and those are the flights you should pick). Later flights are better. AS has reduced capacity on that route a bit.

The one you're almost never going to get is LAS-SEA on a Sunday. That regularly sells out in F, and I don't ever see U on that. I'd call LAS-SEA on a Sunday one of the toughest upgrades in the system, right up there with EWR.

15. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    As we have no CC here, at Randy's suggestion I will drop this request in the AS forum: If anyone has an MVP status to gift, please click on my username and "Start a Conversation" with me. Really need to get the wife status so I can enjoy my AS travel instead of splitting PNRs and giving her my UG...

Won't somebody please, please help me?

Mahalo and Aloha!

16. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought you were considering another airline due to the "electronics police"? I do agree with your position on their overzealousness about shutting things off early.

17. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly VX to LA frequently but only AS and WN have SEA-LAS nonstop service, which is my main route. Once WN gets WiFi on all plances I will probably switch, since with the companion pass and lower fares in general I will save about 70% on my travel expenses.

QL

18. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that, but I usually like to be in LAS in time for dinner.

QL

19. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS 98 ANC-SEA UG at 120 hours 2/21/2011. [​IMG]

20. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Missed out on a couple so far... including KOA-SEA and ANC-SEA. AS730 is a tough one it seems...

But have been treated fairly well in whY when I'm stuck back there, including the First One on Us that is given to MVPG's and the free digeplayer which sometimes has decent content.

jackal likes this.
  21. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only one I've missed is AS18, SEA-MCO, on Sunday morning. I was even booked in full Y but was third on the list at the gate. I'm batting 8/9 for my upgrade average as a 75K. :)

22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do as well. I just am used to somewhat later dinners in Vegas. ;) (The other problem is over the years, the evening flights have gone down in number in Vegas.)

23. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the shower one day recently, I tried doing the math to figure out how many 75Ks there were on a typical transcon. My number came out to 1 or 2 on average. Obviously I could be wrong, but if I'm right, how can a 75K be missing out on upgrades? Are people buying up full-fare F tickets? Or using AS Visa companion tickets?

jackal likes this.
  24. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    On transcons yes quite a few people use certs for the few U class seats, buy F, or burn mileage, hence the difficulty...

25. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to "like" your post because I do my best math in the shower, too. :D

I've been the only person moved into F at the 5-day mark on most of my flights, and several FAs seem flabbergasted to see me onboard, so I'm inclined to believe there are many flights that go out without 75Ks.