$75 Restaurant Credit for Gold Card Hotel Program

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by garyst16, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received this email today.

Amex Gold Hotel.JPG

Terms & Conditions

Valid for new bookings of at least two consecutive nights made through American Express Travel. Payment must be made with an American Express Card in U.S. Gold Card member, Platinum Card member or Centurion member's name. Card member must travel on itinerary booked. Dining credit cannot be used for alcohol, bar, and mini bar charges. Credit cannot be carried over to another stay and is not redeemable for cash. Credit is non-exchangeable and non-refundable and is applied in USD or equivalent in local currency based on exchange rate on day of arrival. May not be combined with other offers unless indicated. Limit one credit per room, per stay. Three-room limit per Card member per stay; back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property considered one stay. Participating providers and benefits subject to change.

American Express Customer Service Department
    P.O. Box 297817 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7817

Copyright 2011 American Express Company. All rights reserved. v5 22226ZTJ

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the "exceptionally low room rates" in the email, I would assume that this requires a special rate code which probably isn't so good, but the T & C don't mention a special rate being required or say subject to availability. I wonder whether this is a credit coming from AmEx and not the hotels.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, sometimes they do these promos and just bake the cost into the room...could be some good deals if you really search though.

4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can understand your concern about the room rates. I just performed a search for a hotel near LAX and chose the Sheraton Four Points. Search criteria was 1 room for 2 nights check in 11/14 out 11/16. Here are the results:

AMEX Travel website: $119/night
    SPG Website: $119/night
    Amex Gold Card Rewards Program: Ah, the catch...very limited inventory and no Four Points!

So, lets check this another way. I selected the Westin LAX.

Amex Gold Card Rewards Program: $155/night
    AMEX Travel website: $155/night
    SPG Website: $155/night

BTW, I checked Expedia for the same hotel - the rate was the same: $155

So the catch here is the limited inventory...but the are NOT jacking up the rates!

flamingo and Jimgotkp like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not bad at all! Just have to signup for an actual AMEX card next year.