744 Long Haul Service for Winter 2012-13

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Rejuvenated, Jul 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    From 28OCT12 - 30MAR13, the number of 744s deployed for long haul destinations will continue to dwindle. Latest updates show the following destinations retaining service by Cathay's jumbo:

FRA: CX289/288 (Daily)
    JNB: CX749/748 (Daily)
    LHR: CX257/256 (variation of 3x, 4x, or 5x weekly depending on different periods of that time frame); CX255/252 (Daily)
    SFO: CX870/879 (Daily)

Basically just going forward with their plans to retire the 744s from their fleet roster. Destinations that have had the 744s such as YVR, CDG, AMS the last couple of years won't be seeing them at all this upcoming winter barring further a/c changes. For those that are not yet aware, the newest cirrus business seats and the newest economy seats are not/will not be configured on these aircrafts. Nonetheless for some of us (including myself and Mrs R) who somewhat prefer F on the 744 over the 77W (or just plain fans of the jumbo jet), it'll be sad to see the end of the era when the day (still TBD) finally arrives to serve CX's final jumbo flight. So if anyone plans to take advantage of F on the 744 or just wants a ride with it period, those are your options for this upcoming winter barring further changes.

General_Flyer likes this.
  2. Phly4Phun

Phly4Phun Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the 777 over the 747 on CX

3. chinesescouser

chinesescouser Active Member

Status Points:
    It's interesting because CX flies their 744 regionally (i.e. Denpasar), without an F cabin. I wonder if they'll eventually replace those too with 772.
    Anyone know if they plan to take on 747-8s?

4. itchief

itchief Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does not fly without an 'F cabin', the F cabin is not sold as F. I flew this route last year and was booked in J but my wife and I got seats 2A and 2K in the F cabin.

5. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the pleasure of being in F on 838 to YVR recently. It had been a while since I'd been on a 747 and as is usual with CX, enjoyed the flight. They will be missed.

6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked in F on the 744 end of next month, will be my first time on CX F. I hope they don't go ahead and swap it to a 77W.

General_Flyer likes this.
  7. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding yours: I much prefer to be on a 744 since the seats aren't as diagonally placed (in fact due to the nose curve, its almost straightly aligned) as those on the 77W. Truthfully, the 77W F makes me dizzy due to the diagonal placements of the seats..

8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it the Krug Grande Cuvee, or is it the diagonal placement of seats?

Discuss

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  9. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seat... I'm quite well aware of my ability to drink champagnes, but diagonal seats never did me good...

cennas likes this.
  10. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    But still served with J meals.

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm told that they often close the cabin so they don't have to staff it.

I have upcoming flights to/from DPS operated by 747 with an F cabin but was unable to get a seat there and was told it would be closed.

12. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airline Route reported today that JNB is going to mixed equipment with 747 operating just 2 days per week (1, 3 ex HKG) the other 5 days it will be a 777 (no F).

Actually, I confirmed the no F when I called CX to ask why my award ticket downgraded me to J....

13. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Secretly wishing there is a hope for a cx 748i.

But that 77W is quite a machine and CX is one of their biggest fanboys

14. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess BOM-HKG is not a "long haul", but I was wondering if you'd still get a full service meal (caviar, Krug) as well as the long haul amenities (PJs, etc) in First class on this sector?