740K for BE

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by BamaGirl, Mar 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    RTS, I think you will 'appreciate' this ask for an award ticket I saw over on the OBB.

Is that a new record high?

redtailshark likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect to see more, not less, of higher-mileage award tickets from all the "majors" in the coming future. And many current choices aren't a bargain. For example, JFK-CDG on USAir in business/first is mostly 162K each way, for a total of 324K per r/t ticket. 740K for a very long-haul SkyPeso award booking is abysmal, but not unanticipated.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you guys looking to find the highest mile redemption possible? I just booked my usual winter/Xmas/New Years trip and it was 125,000 for MIA-CDG-OTP on the outbound in Dec and OTP-CDG-ATL-FLL on the return in Jan, all in F or Biz.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    WilliamQ likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is [​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG] for sure, but as for all-time record, I don't know - since I was censored over at FT DL board, I haven't kept track of everyone's outraged discoveries regarding SM redemptions. But I recall several people in the original 635k PHL to FCO thread from 2010 found slightly higher numbers and I did see a 675k demand not long after. It won't be long before a. FUBAR is fully implemented and people start seeing 1M SM demands for individual tickets.

Why make even the cursory effort to accumulate these vile and debased coinages? Never mind flying DL and being incentivized by SM. Even the hardcore DL apologists have almost given up on that. But even a credit pull for 50k SM bonus on AmEx gold is so not worth it when that same pull could yield 50k UR or MP or AA or AS.

6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Such negativity! I haven't given up. I use my miles twice a year to hit eastern Europe (family) and another destination of my choice. Always in F or J. I've never used anywhere near the amount of miles anyone here has. If you are flexible and persistent, you will find something.

redtailshark likes this.
  7. redtailshark

Status Points:
    There are one or two people who do find SM useful. There's a lot more who don't. I agree with you in that I can find "something" - 635k from PHL to FCO in fact. But that's 105k on UA (was then, anyway, now 110k on UA or 140k on Star partners).

You probably don't know the long FT history but a short recap will be useful. In my case, before I bailed on DL totally - just after the NW merge - I kept track of each redemption I made. In 2009-10, over a twelve month period, I compared each redemption attempt on DL.COM with UA/CO.COM at the time of booking. I was then PM on DL, before DM was coined, and Plat/1K on CO/UA - so the elite tier advantage in each program was directly comparable.

During that period I redeemed thirty six awards. Thirty four of them entailed a lower mileage cost on UA/CO and the average differential was ~50% even back then. In two cases, SM agents told me that partner X wasn't an SM partner in spite of me asking them to read what DL.COM stated at that moment. MH came up on one occasion when I was actually at KUL. The battle of KUL..... The same with AM on another occasion. Anyway, the excuses/belligerence that was offered when I called them out on this outrage was quite interesting.

I knew it wouldn't get better immediate service but I thought, this conversation creates an audit trail and if management are really interested in service delivery issues, when I am surveyed, I'll reference my telecon with agent X on May 25th during which time I was told the above in violation of published policy. I abandoned this when it became clear that the mendacity was tacitly underwritten by DL senior management - they had no intention of addressing this obfuscation/falsehood and condone such agent shenanigans. Why do business with these guys? They operate a shell game, a fundamentally dishonest model and they're roundly panned by many people from their own former apologists, to kettles on social media and even not-very-well-informed-reporters.

Since then, things have gotten much worse.

I'm glad I pulled the plug. Since then I've enjoyed ample UA/AS/AA/BA bounty and I can laugh about the ongoing charades. I do admit, it is amusing to come here and read the stories.

gregm likes this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, on average, I earn over 500,000 miles/year in combination of my BIS mile and CC miles, so I suppose I have miles to burn. I redeem miles for 2-3 international long haul trips per year and have never experienced what you describe. I'm not knocking what you say about redemption on other airlines, but I have used, on average, 100,000-160,000 miles per trip, always up front, on DL, AF and KLM. If you're not flexible, maybe you will have to shell out twice that, but I have never used or had to use over 500,000 miles for an award ticket. I would hardly call them dishonest or operators of a shell game. Sounds like you had some bad experiences, but that shouldn't spoil it for the rest of us, unless we want it to. The changes in the SM program earning and spending are hard to understand, but if it makes it a better experience for me, so be it. You can't make me drink the Kool Aid!

9. redtailshark

Status Points:
    You have miles to burn??!! OK..... I earn ~ 1.2 million/year across various programs and never feel like I have "miles to burn" Some people call me hardcore...but I'm just a regular shark.

I don't think I was trying to market Kool-Aid.... it's better if you stay with DL and don't compete for my limited CPU ug on UA. However UA redemption is certainly easier and I'm not the only one who believes so. There are very few people who post any more claiming that DL SM is actively superior to any other FF program, except possibly SQ KF, but the tenor seems to be those who fly DL can find what they consider tolerable value from SM, which is sufficient to continue flying DL. I don't think that's the only dimension affecting carrier selection, and others have different priorities than FFP redemptions.

gregm likes this.
  10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Point well taken! I'm not claiming superiority over other programs. Alls I'm sayin' is that it aint all bad for everyone!! Ouch!!! Shark bite!!

redtailshark likes this.