737 seat numbers

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kw335, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I just booked a couple of flights tonight and can't help but noticing that the seat numbering is not the one that I'm used to. Take a look at these two seat maps, both are on 737-800. The top seating chart is for a flight next week, and the bottom chart is for a flight in November.

Picture 8.png

Picture 3.png

2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you noting the different location of the exit rows? Ext rows 13-14 indicate the "original" 738 configuration, while exit rows at 14-15 indicates the newer configuration (with the "sliding-recline" seats).

3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Duh! *smacks own head*. I guess that's what it is. Funny of all the flying I've done on AA, I never noticed the difference in seat numbers between old and new 737 configs. Though out of 84 segments this year, I've only been on the old config 737 twice, and both were in first.

I feel stupid now. :)

4. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe its the new/updated configuration (more seats, more rows) vs. old configuration (less rows/seats). The old configuration is being phased out and there are fewer to begin with. Can anyone confirm?

5. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    woops, how strange, when I typed my response the page had no replies yet...

6. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, you've selected good seats on each configuration! :)

7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, 15C/D are my go-to Y seats on a 737. That's the only reason why I was alarmed of the odd numbering. I guess I'm just used to have 15C/D as my point of reference.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't feel bad about this sort of question.

sobore likes this.
  9. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best rule of thumb for the 737 is just to pick the aisle seat on the aft exit row and you'll be golden.

If you're someone who really needs the legroom and wants to be assured it in case of an equipment change, selecting row 14 will always get you an exit, but when the new config that will also get you a seat that doesn't recline, so it's all about weighing options. I've personally never been originally scheduled on a newly configured 738 and had it subbed for an old one, so this has never happened to me, but some folks really want/need that legroom and for them row 14 is always a safe bet.