70th Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by arkleseizure, Dec 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't notice a thread about this, but as someone who has seen first hand (many, many, many years later) the devastation of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the subsequent bombing of Hiroshima, it marks a very sad occasion for me.

rhaynie, tcook052 and FriendlySkies like this.
  2. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This anniversary hasn't received much press but like you having been to Pearl on a few occasions and once on the anniversary it did come to my mind and gave me pause for thought yesterday. Such an ugly thing in so beautiful a place.

rhaynie and arkleseizure like this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in Hawaii 5 yrs ago for the Commemoration of the 65th yr since the attack. At the time, they thought that it would be one of last large groups to attend given the age of those who were at Pearl Harbor during the attack and for veterans who served in the Pacific. I was not sure what to expect, but through the visit, I could sense the immensity of that time. Perhaps the most haunting image for me was the sight of the oil droplets from the sunken vessel that come to the surface and disperse, a symbol of the tragedy and flow, leaving a trace for others to reflect.

rhaynie and arkleseizure like this.
  4. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your apt description really makes me want to go back soon. I think I was 1989 when we moved away, so I don't have very many strong memories of it at this point. I do remember that one of my friend's dad was the CO or the XO of the base, and they had this amazing house overlooking Pearl Harbor...it was pretty incredible, and eerie at the same time.

rhaynie likes this.
  5. I have been to both Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima and both places stir the emotions.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    although I was not an active member on MP at that time ..... i can't remember if I signed up then. But Pearl Harbor is a place all americans should visit. I am a big history buff and have been to Pearl twice. I have made it my mission visit as many of the world war 2 sites as I can .