700 Miles Shy...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bdempsey1040, Aug 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bdempsey1040

bdempsey1040 Member

Status Points:
    Hey I am a newbie around here. But now that I have found this place I think I will settle in.

I am currently about 750 miles shy of a new status with UA.

Is taking another flight the only way to get over the hill?

I have some travel coming up, but thought I would ask for future reference as well.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can buy PQMs if you have an active reservation in your profile, although they cost about 13 cents per mile, so 750 PQMs would cost about $100.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have non-refundable travel booked which will get you over the hump then about a week before the trip I'd call MPSC, explain the situation, and ask to be bumped up in advance of the trip. IME they have generally been cooperative on that.

bqkali, aptraveler, mht_flyer and 4 others like this.
  4. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll second that!

I'm guessing your upcoming travel will push you over the mark so no need for a mileage run.

Please let us know how the phone call goes!

Sweet Willie and aptraveler like this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not have thought to ask for this, but I'll be at 49,449 miles (with a non-refundable trip coming up) when Gold would be useful.

mht_flyer likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    My current offers (RDM + PQM) have been closer to 10 cents, all in, so more like $75 for the OP. If calling is a no-go, and gold would be useful prior to the travel, then booking some very short run, using Award Accelerator to buy PQMs and then cancelling the "trial" itinerary, might be in order.

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestic ones would be. Int'l will be lower.

8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be hard to get an international routing with few enough miles. My offers have been more than 2x and more than 3x, so a 175 mile each way would be tough unless maybe BRU-CPH on Brussels Air (one of my current offers -- which is one of the 10 cent ones.)

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably, because short haul CPMs are higher anyway, int'l or domestic. LAX-SFO is the highest CPM one I have currently. There may be some Caribbean flights that work. IAH-CUN one-way is 811 miles, for example, and IAH-MEX is 763.

In cash outlay, the short haul will be the least money even if it's higher CPM.

Funny you mention BRU-CPH. We're flying CPH-BRU (on SAS) next month.

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're going to be in CPH Sept. 4-6 at the Radisson Blu. Any chance for a mini-meetup?

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, arriving a couple of weeks later.

12. bdempsey1040

bdempsey1040 Member

Status Points:
    I have a bit of an update.

I didn't call to try and get bumped to Gold pre-flight cause we are a couple weeks away from the trip.

BUT....I got an email from United Customer Service about a complaint I filed last month. I had some issues on a trip with a cancelled flight and getting rebooked where the lady told me a flight was full but I was looking at open seats on my computer while talking to her and she refused to listen to me.

Needless to say, customer service personally apologized, valued my business, understood my complaint, and gave me 5000 miles bonus for the problem since it kept me from getting back home from a trip on time and was really a frustrating situation.

SO...my question is has anyone been given bonus miles from United Customer Service before and will they be able to count toward me getting a new status (Gold)?

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bonus miles like that would be RDMs (redeemable award miles), not status miles generally.

14. bdempsey1040

bdempsey1040 Member

Status Points:
    :(

Still happy for United's customer service this time.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could call back and see if you could get 1000 status miles instead, y'know. I don't know if they can do that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK UA does not do that.

To the OP you could request original routing credit if the previous routing had more miles since this was an INVOL change or IRROPs.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint