70-Year-Old Woman Charged With Having Gun In Carry-On Luggage At BWI

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Mar 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012...d-with-having-gun-in-carry-on-luggage-at-bwi/

Officials in Maryland have charged a 70-year-old woman with having a gun in her carry-on luggage at BWI Airport.

Maryland Transportation Authority Police Sgt. Kirk Perez said the .38-caliber gun was found Wednesday just before 9 a.m. when the woman was traveling through airport security.

Perez said the woman — Glen Burnie resident Jane Hoover — apparently stored the weapon in the bag and forgot it was there. Perez said she was arrested but later released and was cooperative with police.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    how do you pack a suitcase and NOT notice something else in the bag? given there is only so much space in a carryon, said space is a premium. while i don't totally doubt she did forget it was there, i just find it hard to completely believe.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easily. When I moved in 2005, I somehow put my THICK Swiss Army Knife into my briefcase. Forgot all about it, didn't realize it until I got to Paris and saw the knife in my bag.

Now, about this gun thing. There's a long-standing double-standard in people carrying guns to a checkpoint. One of the fringe benefits of being a TSA screener is that if you bring a gun to the checkpoint, not only will you not be arrested, you get to keep your job of being an airport screener.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    About half a year after 9/11 I went on a quick business trip with three laptops to test a setup for an upcoming conference. At the security checkpoint they found a nice big premium screwdriver in my backpack that I had taken to work a few days earlier to replace a hard disk in one of my "servers". I had completely forgotten about it and it was just at the bottom of the bag with cables and power supplies piled on top. They were nice about it, but insisted on not letting me take it onboard.

That said... If I had a handgun, I sure as hell would want to keep track of its location at all times.

5. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    okay, okay, i guess it could happen. LOL! it is probably just me who checks through bags as i pack. this includes going through/double checking my computer bag for unnecessary items.

agreed with knowing where a handgun is at all times. she should be glad one of her grandkids didn't accidentally find it.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    What punishment is appropriate here, I ax?

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just fine the lady and remove her gun-carrying capability for a short period of time and move on.

deant likes this.