7 top frequent flyer miles programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

I were to tell someone living in Paris that they should consider earning frequent flyer miles with Alaska Airlines, they’d likely give me a puzzled look.
    Similarly, if I suggested to a Los Angeles resident who flies only occasionally that they ought to look at a Colombian/Salvadorean frequent flyer program, they’d probably think I was trying to be funny.
    But in these days of international airline alliances and globalized frequent flyer programs, some of the best deals lay hidden in programs from distant lands, run by airlines you may never fly.
    It pays to do a bit of research.
    Important things to keep in mind

Most airlines within a global alliance (oneworld, Star Alliance, Skyteam) have their own distinct mileage program rules, sometimes with very different rates for earning and burning miles.
    This means that getting the maximum value for your miles depends on where you bank them. Many people overlook this.
    Even if you’re flying one particular airline often enough to get elite status (and the upgrades and priority treatment that come with it), it’s a good idea to pick a couple of secondary programs.
    Which program is best for you will depend on a number of factors, so it’s difficult to give broad recommendations.
    For travelers who don’t know where to start, here are seven of the better mileage programs.

Read More: http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/escape/top-frequent-flyer-miles-programs-100956
    LETTERBOY, 8MiHi and AAL like this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

This is an excellent suggestion. How many recommendations for Aegean have been posted here and on TOBB so flyers can get *A Gold status? It is clearly something that might fit certain traveler's needs quite economically and provide them with something they can use. With the wealth of programs and perks available its worth it to do some research, especially if you need to fly across alliances.
    LETTERBOY likes this.