7 Reasons the TSA Sucks (A Security Expert's Perspective)

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Dec 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reaso...age&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

For a bunch of people in snappy uniforms patting down crotches, the TSA is remarkably unpopular. Nobody likes going through security at the airport, but you probably figured most of it had a point. All those hours spent in line with other shoeless travelers are a necessary precursor to safe flying. It's annoying, but at least it wards off terrorism.

That's all bulls**t. The TSA couldn't protect you from a 6-year-old with a water balloon. What are my qualifications for saying that? My name is Rafi Sela, and I was the head of security for the world's safest airport. Here's what your country does wrong.

Read More: http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reaso...age&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

goalie, Newscience, MX and 1 other person like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well-documented and factual analysis of one incompetent and extremely disruptive agency.

gaijin62 and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, sobore! I will definitely share this article with many friends! IMHV, the Israelis, Germans, and Brits pretty much have airport security down pat. Here in the U.S., we can't get out of our own way being "politically correct" and have real airport security at the same time. The plain truth is that we've gotten used to having a dysfunctional airport security, that will likely remain in place until it fails to stop the next 9/11-type event.

Bill Hunt, LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really, only 7 reasons? ;) I could come up with way more than that! An interesting read nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!

Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    God help us if it's a 7-year old with two water balloons ;)

Newscience likes this.
  6. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting reading, thanks for sharing.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fallacy about how Ben Guiron-style security can be achieved in the U.S. is that there are two very major differences:
    1) The throughput; about 12 million per year at one airport versus about 700 million at about 465 U.S. Airports.
    2) The laws; Israel's laws allow for much more leeway. If some of the tactics used there were used here, we'd see a lot more Saul Goodmans stationed at airports and the U.S. Courts would strike down the TSA in a heartbeat.

If the U.S. were to come halfway to doing Israeli-style security, it would do major damage the airline industry.

8. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Besides Chertoff, we also have the Podesta brothers, who run the lobbying, and PR firm for the scanning company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podesta_Group

Recall the name John Podesta? You should, as he was just brought into the White House to "right the Obama ship." Guess who lobbies for the scanners, and gets them mandated into service in every US airport? Yeah, you nailed it.

Besides having the President's ear, great influence over the TSA and what they employ, he's also in tight with some folk, who might well benefit, if the US fails. Nice crowd, and we have to bow to their power, every time that we fly in the US.

Even with PreCheck, 1K status on UA (Chairman on US) with about 110 PQS per year, GOES and a Platinum AMEX card from the beginning (Member from 1974), I get a "random" screen on all four legs of a flight, and only having to clear TSA once, 'cause I never left a secure area. Same for my four return legs. Oh well, guess that a gentleman traveling in a blazer, with a hat, in FC, is a major threat? Now, the three swarthy guys, wearing long wool overcoats (it was 110F at PHX that day!), with long black beards, and furtively clutching shopping bags are safe to travel with - at least they did not do anything bad, that I could tell. My poor wife, with two artificial hips is on the holiday card list for most PHX TSA agents, and gets Valentine Day cards from a few...

Yes, I feel much safer... NOT!

P.S. please do not get me started on how I really feel.

curiousgeorge and MX like this.
  9. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    We fly LHR 2 - 3x per year, and their security has always been impressive. Wife's two artificial hips are never an issue, and we do not need to have our "junk" touched. We chat-up the agents, and answer all of their questions, wishing them a good day. Nice folk, as a lot.

Now, CDG has made me take out every item in my briefcase, placing each into a separate bin. I used up their entire allotment, but everything cleared - only to find that better Champagne was on the other side of security. Bogus!!! Still, no one "touched my junk," though I felt that a few agents really wanted to...

Newscience likes this.