7 Places to Travel for Food in 2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Dec 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elyse-pasquale/travel-food-2013_b_2339009.html

[​IMG]

Culinary travel is the next big thing, from cooking classes in Tuscany to street-food tours in Istanbul. So where will you plan your next foodie adventure? Whether you prefer chasing Michelin stars or channeling your inner Andrew Zimmern, these global destinations will wow your taste buds. Here are the top seven places to eat around the world in 2013.

San Sebastian, Spain

The small seaside city in northern Spain's Basque region is the world's ultimate foodie destination, with more Michelin stars per capita (currently 16) than anywhere else on Earth. Both Arzak and Mugaritz grace the top 10 of S. Pellegrino's World's 50 Best Restaurants. The city's charming Belle-Époque-meets-avant-garde architecture is reflected in its cuisine: experimental with an old soul. Through abundant in private gastronomic societies, colorful markets and cooking schools, the greatest culinary adventure in San Sebastian is the pintxos crawl. Twice a day, hundreds of people pour into the streets, moving from bar to bar: tasting, drinking and socializing over eclectic, artistic Basque-style tapas like anchovies, foie gras, beef cheeks and blood sausage.

Tbilisi, Georgia

The Republic of Georgia is one of the world's most fascinating up-and-coming culinary destinations. The tiny country's cuisine is influenced by its geography, resulting in a remarkable combination of Middle Eastern and Eastern European flavors. In Tbilisi you'll fall in love with khachapuri, a pizza-like flatbread stuffed with molten cheese. Other traditional foods include meaty soup dumplings, cilantro-spiked red beans, thick buffalo yogurt and unleavened bread cooked over hot coals. And then there's the wine; Georgia invented it. According to oeno-historians, Georgia has the oldest recorded history of fermenting grapes to make wine, dating back to 5000 BCE. Today, an ancient technique of making wine underground in clay vessels called qvevri is being revitalized. Attend a supra, or Georgian feast, where food and wine meet traditional music.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elyse-pasquale/travel-food-2013_b_2339009.html

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rest of the list looks tasty as well.

uggboy likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    After some wonderful culinary experiences in Barcelona (at about 1/2 the cost of similar meals in Paris) last year I decided I had to return again this year:p

sobore and ducster like this.
  4. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too- in fact, I'm heading there tomorrow night!

sobore likes this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me know if we make any special discoveries :)

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm having a tough time with Kiev Ukraine, just not buying it.

Has anyone (who is food centric) been to San Sebastian? I'd love to hear about it.

7. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    About time Tbilisi is mentioned! The roasted eggplant, kebabs, and kinkhali, among many other foods, all were excellent and worth a repeat visit to the country. Although I haven't yet been to Russia, I've heard Georgian food has already made quite a good impression there.

8. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious about regional Ukrainian cuisine, and you know what, Turkish Airlines would be more than happy to help...

9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    San Sebastian is a truly fantastic food experience, and a beautiful city. We were there 4 years ago, and since we were with the kids, we decided to forego the gastronomic experiences for massive amounts of pintxo hops. There are a lot of Michelin kitchen refugees (from El Bulli, and the 3-stars in the area) who are doing really creative things in tapas bars. That's in addition to the classic tapas experiences that abound. I'm happy to go into more detail, but I'm in Barcelona right now, and I'm putting together my list from this trip so far.

Happy New Year, all!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Georgian food I had in Russia was quite good. Roasted meats served with a pita and a variety of sauces. There are several of these establishments around Moscow. The price of $10 - $15 per person is a steal in that city.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  11. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gresca. But I'll elaborate more once I have a chance to recover from tonight's Cal Pep experience. Off to EWR tomorrow. Adios, Barcelona!