7 Days in Europe: Amsterdam, Berlin, Stockholm. Too Much? Recs?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by nonstopski, May 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to travel with my boyfriend to three cities in mid-July and I had a few questions. But first the potential itinerary:

Fly out Friday night for Amsterdam from Washington, DC. Arrive around Noon on Saturday in Amsterdam. Spend rest of Saturday and Sunday in Amsterdam. Spend most of Monday in Amsterdam until 9 PM flight to Berlin. Spend Tuesday and Wednesday in Berlin, leaving Berlin on Wed. at 9 PM for Stockholm. Then spend Thursday and Friday in stockholm before leaving for DC at 9 AM on Saturday.

We we're thinking flights to save us time, but I'm feeling 3 cities is tight for 7 days (although I don't want to cut one either!). Thought about cutting a city to make it just 2, or cutting the time spent in Amsterdam. Would love thoughts on what cities is the most "accomplishable" in a short time period, and which one might warrant more time.

Would love any feedback on the itinerary, what to cut, etc.

Boyfriend is a history buff, but we do both love the outdoors, eating :D, history, modern architecture, etc. Attracted to Amsterdam because of the waterways, anne frank, van gogh, the "unique" scene of pot/red light (although likely wont partake in either!). Berlin seems like a cool city with a lot of modern architecture (which I love), tons to do, and the berlin wall history interests me a lot. Stockholm is where my BF has a friend, so that, plus, Scandinavia just looks great. And the islands right next to the city would be great to explore if time permits.

We picked these 3 cities amongst a handful of others with the goal of being in the "non-mediterranean" (as he's traveled there already and I'm planning a separate trip to the region, potentially, in the years to come).

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the interests you listed should be enjoyed with no rush. If you must return in 7 days, definitely leave one location for another visit. Trust me, it's not your last vacation.
    I think that having a friend in a strange city is priceless. So don't cut Stockholm now -- maybe you'll get to know someone in the other cities of interest by your next trip. If you keep Stockholm, perhaps Berlin would be geographically convenient to include in the same trip, plus will provide a nice contrast as a more lively place.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd cut a city, spend more time to enjoy in the remaining two.

eponymous_coward and TravelBear like this.
  4. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That's the way I'm feeling. With that said, I think Stockholm is a lock. Now I'm just trying to decide between Amsterdam and Berlin. Amsterdam seems more doable in a short term.

eponymous_coward, MX and TravelBear like this.
  5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check airfares and transport between cities. Is budget a concern? If so, keep Stockholm and one other. OTOH, with a friend in the area, and a desire to see the islands, why not just go to Sweden? Stay with your friend first, then spend the money (and time) you would have spent on intra-European airfare on some ferries and more off-the-beaten path places in Sweden. Research where your airports are, and remember that airport to airport plus flying time will cut 1/2 day from your touring each time.
    If you talked with a European who knew someone in New York City, but wanted to see Washington DC, New York and Chicago on a one-week trip, what would you advise him?

6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I would go with Amsterdam over Berlin. But I agree with the rest, cut a city. Definitely stick with Stockholm since you have a connection there.

eponymous_coward and MX like this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    7 days, 3 cities is pretty tight. I think you're better off dropping one of Amsterdam or Berlin.

Berlin is probably livelier on a weekend.

MX likes this.
  8. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    We'll be in Oslo in ten days for two weeks to visit family and flying over to Stockholm for three days. We are also thinking about going to Amsterdam for a day or two.