7 1/2 hour layover in PHL soon. Any suggestions???

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by daninstl, Dec 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have a 7 1/2 layover in PHL in early February. We'll have lounge access with US/AA but I really don't know that I want to spend THAT much time there. Any suggestions on what to do there? We get in at about 10:30am and leave for CDG at 6:30pm'ish. This is why I wish airports had movie theaters :) well that and Jerry's Seinfeld Jury's.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Head into town if the weather is tolerable. SEPTA offers reasonable service twice each hour.

3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bring your walking shoes. There really isn't much to do.
    If you are willing to gamble, the train - directly out from the terminal - to center city is inexpensive but with scheduling and rentry through the worlds best group one tsa :rolleyes: cough, cough:rolleyes: the best you would have is 2 hr.s and other than the ride what can you see in 2 hr.s?

daninstl, Newscience and viguera like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Philly would be fine for two hours of walking. Visit the liberty bell monument and the historic building where the declaration of independence was signed and that should do it.

daninstl, Newscience and viguera like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the exact dates it could be tricky though... if it's during school break or President's Day, you might run into crowds to all the major stuff to see / do. And Philly in February might be "a bit chilly" to be walking around -- anywhere from 12° to 40°F.

daninstl likes this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    The weather in Feb. Is at best iffy. If the is your first visit to the city of brotherly love and you are not familiar with the geography and don't taxi ( personally I don't ) I wouldn't.

daninstl likes this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl, viguera and Newscience like this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why so pessimistic - they've got hours to burn. Say an hour in transit, an hour waiting for transit, and an hour for security, and board half hour before takeoff - unrealistically pessimistic but still leaving 4 hours. Not sure where you get your 2 hour idea from.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The "only 2 hours" theory doesn't mesh with my reality of transit at PHL at all.

11. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    The time frame is estimated from the original 7 1/2 hr, minus escape from PHL (15-30 min), wait for the train (5-30min), transit to center city(30min) @90 min just to get to center city plus time to get to which ever attraction that is picked and then equal return transit time = 3+hrs and add in an extremely random tsa factor (5-60 min security line) I tend to do things like this when I am on a "Mission". Random touristy things in a different / strange city between flights are a stress I don't recommend.
    So yes my 2 hours is short.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've departed from PHL and it's always been a mess for me.

Swore it off after only two times and I'd rather pay more and leave from LGA of all places :)

daninstl likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SEPTA trains to the city are efficient and not subject to traffic delays. Just allow a bit of time on the return to find the correct track. IIRC one way is $6, payable at ticket machines or on the trains, often without a surcharge.

Unfortunately there isn't a station that's really close to the historic area, called Society Hill, with old houses and pleasant/interesting for a stroll. A similar area which isn't as old is Rittenhouse Square, a few blocks south from the 17th Street station. Similarly, the art museum (Rocky) and the Rodin museum aren't close to the SEPTA airport line either. I would either focus on one area for walking or plan to take taxis within the downtown area--it's not worth figuring out the local transportation system (beyond the airport rail line) for the time you have.

Philadelphia has a vibrant and interesting restaurant scene, so plan a good lunch downtown. Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square are good areas for food.

newbluesea, iolaire and daninstl like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is up to $8/person each way now. Cash only on the train. For the trip back to the airport you can buy with a CC at the station. http://www.septa.org/welcome/airport.html

iolaire, daninstl and MSPeconomist like this.
  15. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the great tips. I knew if I asked the question on there that many of you would give me some great advice. Not sure what we'll end up doing but if it's anything exciting I'll do a layover report on it.

iolaire likes this.
  16. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.
  17. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.